Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenaba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
HI I'm new to the forum and have just bought a mac and I have a few questions to ask
Being a pc user I'm not familiar with the mac and would like to ask the following questions
Does the mac behave like a pc ie when switched on does it go through a post routine do you see anything on the monitor like a pc
How do you open the cd drive when the usb keyboard wont be reconised if the os isn't installed
Assuming you can manualy open the drive what happens when you put the o/s disk in the drive?
I'm asking these questions because Iv'e never seen a mac before I wiil probable have many more questions to ask later after I get some idea of what i'm doing
Iv'e wiped a drive clean but haven't partitioned it becaused I do not know what the file system is is there special software for the mac
Any advice on getting me started would be greatly appreciated

aj98

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2006
Holding down the mouse button at power on will open the CD tray.
OR
There's also a button on the top right of the keyboard with an eject logo on it. Push that, the tray should open.

Yes, the Mac does post, but through most of it, all you see is a dark grey apple on a light grey/white background.

Once an OS is installed, you'll see something resembling autoexec run after the grey screen and before the login window appears.

You need an OS install CD, (OS X), use HFS+ formatting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.