Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
30gb iPod

Before the 30gb iPod comes out, Apple's gonna discontinue the 5gb and lower the price on the 10gb and 20gb models. And apple's more likely to come out with everything inbetween before they come out with the 30gb. Nevertheless, I believe that there is no point in Apple coming out with a 30gb iPod, unless someone has a gigantic music library (and do you *really* have to have all those songs on there?) or they're using the iPod to back up their hard drive.

Originally posted by Nipsy

So, the answer is that unless there is magic third party making drives, or Apple goes to a much bigger iPod (neither of which is at all likely), there will not be a larger capacity iPod at MWSF.

If the hard drive can not have larger capacity, then making the music files smaller is the way to go. So the natural conclusion here is that MPEG4/AAC capability will be built in in the next iPod, I think. That is IF Apple release it at the coming MWSF.

Would it be possible to software upgrade older iPods to play AAC files? I guess you need hardware decoder chip?

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by yamadataro

If the hard drive can not have larger capacity, then making the music files smaller is the way to go. So the natural conclusion here is that MPEG4/AAC capability will be built in in the next iPod, I think. That is IF Apple release it at the coming MWSF.

Would it be possible to software upgrade older iPods to play AAC files? I guess you need hardware decoder chip?

The iPod is a little tiny computer, with a little tiny OS, built around a DSP & a hard drive.

It should be possible to maintain feature parity for older iPods via firmware.

smegdude

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2002
Cambridge, uk
Originally posted by King Cobra
If I am not mistaken, the 20GB iPod uses 2x 10GB Hard Drives, not a single 20GB Hard Drive. (I'm pretty sure I read this elsewhere.)

>(rugby) Maybe Apple will come out with iTunes 3.1 or 4 that has mp4 encoding...

Rumors have been flapping about regarding iTunes 4 and AAC. I would expect this update soon.

>(Raiden) Lemme get this strait, if they come out with a 40 gig ipod, with mp4 coding, then itsend will be able to hold 16000 songs?!?

>(TyleRomeo) that is if you compress your music down to 80KBPS in AAC.

Not to be rude, but MPEG-1 audio (what most people here listen to) at 160Kbps has about the same quality as MPEG-4 AAC at 40Kbps, except with a 75% file size reduction. Therefore, at 40Kbps, you could store 32000 songs on your 40GB iPod. Once you have done that, your parents should recommend you see a doctor. :p

i was just wondering, if this is true and you can store 32000 songs then how many more are there available? how many songs are there on the planet and how big a hard disk would you need to store them?? 80gb? that would be cool, walking round with every song ever written in your pocket!!!!
you could buy them straight from apple with all the songs on it :D
just a thought anyway

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by smegdude

i was just wondering, if this is true and you can store 32000 songs then how many more are there available? how many songs are there on the planet and how big a hard disk would you need to store them?? 80gb? that would be cool, walking round with every song ever written in your pocket!!!!
you could buy them straight from apple with all the songs on it :D
just a thought anyway

Hahahaha... I can assure you, there are tens of times more songs written than 64000 in the US alone.... I'm looking more towards the petabytes... most probably even more.

irmongoose

banjoboy1979

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2002
my rough calculations...

...are showing me that the 20 gig will fit my music collection, encoded at 192 kbps, almost exactly. and considering that i know a lot of people who have twice or even six or seven times the music collection that i do, i can certainly understand the desire for having an 40 (or 80) gig machine. :D

it's off topic, but does anyone here encode vinyl? what's the best way to go about doing such a thing?

PLEASE someone tell me that the 20's going to come down to the $400 level at MWSF. wouldn't that piss off a good number of christmas shoppers that just spent a $100 more?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.