Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Figory

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2004
My ipod keeps freezing totally. I have to let the battery die and then recharge it for it to unfreeze.

Any tricks? Can I reboot it somehow without waiting?
Thanks

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
That happened once or twice on my other one and i just let the battery die and then plugged it in and it was fine.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
This happened to me a few months ago, also a 40GB model. It started skipping through tracks and then just froze, couldn't do anything as the reset didn't work. I had to wait for the battery to drain and the backlight was on the whole time so it got really hot. Eventually i managed to recharge it but from then on loads of songs were skipping or truncating and the hard disk was making terrible noises. Anyway i took it back to the shop and they replaced it under warranty. I'd suggest you do the same if it's still covered, it sounds like your hard disk is on its way out. This is exactly why i've just bought an extra year's AppleCare cover!

Figory

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2004
thanks

Thanks!

What a bore. I bought it in Santa Monica and I live in Ireland, so its very hard to bring it back. Got it almost a year ago, so not sure they would be interested. I'll try next trip over though.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Figory said:
Thanks!

What a bore. I bought it in Santa Monica and I live in Ireland, so its very hard to bring it back. Got it almost a year ago, so not sure they would be interested. I'll try next trip over though.

I think you should be able to take it to any Apple centre or even request a service online. It's definitely worth getting it checked out before your year's warranty expires since the hard disk is probably quite expensive to replace. Is it making more noise than usual? Have you tried to wipe & restore it? Mine refused to mount properly so i couldn't. They couldn't fix mine so replaced it with a new unit and i haven't had any problems with this one so far.

Figory

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2004
Do I need the reciept? I think I've lost it.

No it dosnt make more noise, just gets stuck with the light on. The bore is having to wait for the battery to drain and recharge.
You mean I should take all my music off and put it back on again?

Quizmo

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2005
Cali
Good bet drive is toast

I have actually managed to lose 2 iPods in the warranty period due to drive failure. Have not been playing hockey with them, or anything else rough, but same symptoms. Sometimes a full resest of the iPOD (clear & reload my tracks) would give me some additional time, but seriously take it to an Apple Store/Center if you can. If you registered it online when you bought it, they should have a record of that, and shoudl not need the receipt. They just swapped my whole unit out. If you have to ship it past 90 or 180 days (do not remember which) it wil cost like $40, but not sure how warranty works overseas on a U.S. sold piece.

Figory

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2004
O.k Thank you very much. I'll take it back.
Its working right now, but no longer reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.