40GB 7200 or 80GB 5400 upgrade for mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zen.state, May 19, 2005.

1. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I recently got a mac mini and upgraded the ram to 512. the one thing I still want to do is upgrade the internal hd to a faster drive but I would also like to gain some space.

the original drive is only 40GB and 4200rpm. I would like some opinions on whether to buy a samsung 80GB 5400 with 8mb buffer or an ibm/hitachi 40GB 7200rpm with 8mb buffer. I have narrowed it down to these 2 as they both come closest to my needs and are also in my budget.

I have to admit that the extra space would be nice on the 5400 but the speed of the 7200 would be nice also. with the 7200 I gain no space though :(

ideas?

2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

From a quick search online (just use Google) I don't think an average of ~$30 is too huge a jump in spending to get the best of both worlds - speed and capacity. I am not you, however, so I don't know if you need that $20 for something else.

No offense intended; I am a college student, so I know how it is to be short on money, but I am sure you can scrounge up a small amount like that pretty quickly.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Faster internal drive, cheapie rebated external with FireWire case. Externals are easy to make, cheap to make, and can be upgraded later.

4. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I would go with the fastest internal drive possible, and, if you're running out of space, eventually use a large firewire HD to store other things.

There's also a 60GB 7200 from Hitachi/IBM, the 7K60. It seems to be out of stock everywhere I've looked, though.

5. macminilover macrumors newbie

I went with an external firewire drive for my Mini. Put a Maxtor DiamondMax 250GB (16MB cache) into a OWC firewire case and now boot off the firewire drive and use the Mini's 80GB for a "backup" drive. Works great and a lot less hassle than ripping out the Mini's drive...and it IS noticably faster running off the firewire drive (and I even have 1GB memory).

6. zen.state thread starter macrumors 68020

zen.state