40GB iPod?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Shrek, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

I was just wondering when Apple may release a 40GB iPod, just like Creative Labs has released their 40GB Nomad Jukebox. I was thinking about getting the 5GB iPod, but then I thought I should wait until a 40GB iPod comes out; then prices may drop again and I can get probably the 10GB iPod for roughly the same price as the 5GB today ($299.99). Anyone know anything?

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

They just started with the 20 Gig this month, so don't look for the 40 Gig till probably MWSF '03

40 Gig, ha, now that would be more than an MP3 player - you wouldn't be able to listen to all the songs without hearing a repeat for days on end - almost too much - I don't know if I have 40 Gigs of songs. There is a possibility that unless they make the iPod into something else, you might never see one at 40 Gig. You could put several movies on the damn thing. Imagine getting one of those little video cameras with a firewire connection and downloading it directly to the iPod - all they would need is a better display to view it -

ah the potential.....

D

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

apple uses the toshiba drives, so unless there is a 40 gig version of that (which I don't believe there is) its not going to happen. not that apple si tied to toshiba, but they are the only ones I know of making high capacity drives that small.

4. neilt macrumors regular

I have 5.8GB of mp3's (1297 songs) and it will go for 3 days and 19 hours before repeating. So figure 3 days per 5GB, 40Gb equals nearly a month of non repeating music.......
    i think that may be more than anyone needs!

:D

neilt

5. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

That's exactly what I was thinking, or a whole 'nother operating system. Cuz even I have nowhere near 8,000 songs. :p But then again, I just want the prices to drop so I can better afford the 10GB model; that's all I really need. :D

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

Heh, I can see a trend here...

Once Apple releases a 40GB iPod, some junkie will come here asking when a 60GB or 80GB iPod will come out. :p :rolleyes:

I can't imagine who will want 40GB of music on their iPod. If you really need 8000 songs you have a serious mental problem. :rolleyes:

Besides, IF a 40GB 1.8" Hard Drive was available, the price on that thing must be extremely high. I would imagine that the cheap version of it would be the cousin 2.5" Hard Drive.

7. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(from 40GB Nomad link)Anti-skip protection: up to 7 minutes for smooth listening

I'm sure there are other flaws...

The site doesn't say if it uses a 2.5 inch Hard Drive. I would imagine so, since that would be the ONLY way to keep the price down.

IF Apple made a 40GB iPod with a 2.5 inch Hard Drive, the iPod would also have to be bigger. And who wants to haul around something that's, maybe, twice as big as our current 20GB model? You would be turning our deck of cards into a storybook. :rolleyes:

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I would be surprised if it was a 1.5" Drive - that thing is more than twice as big as the iPod - got this from the spec page - another reason not to buy it

Capacity: 20GB hard disk drive (333 hours at 128 kbps MP3 encoding) or 40GB hard disk drive (666 hours at 128 kbps MP3 encoding)

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

I noticed that as well. Imagine what happens when they come out with a 400GB mp3 player :eek:

(Well, considering the thing lists mp3s at 128Kbps, eick.)

I also noticed that number at the bottom of the main index page of the forums. It happened twice yesterday. The forums are becoming evil. :p

I still like the iPod. I can attract more peecee users with it. :cool:

11. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

My personal feelings is that it would be hard for consumers to know the real differences between the Nomad Jukebox and the iPod unless Apple lowers it's prices on it's iPods. To tell you the truth, I had no idea before I posted this thread. But thanks, anyway. :D

12. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

It will probably be 384kbps surround sound. And 400GB is NOT ridiculous if you can put other things on it besides music (like movies, for example). Before you know it, our cell phones may even become our MP3 players, too. :D

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think mp3 cell phones have been around for a few years, but I think they use simple 32MB or 64MB RAM chips, not the cheaper spinning Hard Drive the real people use. :p :rolleyes:

As for 384Kbps, I haven't seen mp3 encoding go to that range. It goes up to 320Kbps; then it goes to .wav or .aiff at 8 or 16 bit.

14. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

ok people, listen to yourselves! 400 GB! The BIGGEST drive you can buy for your DESKTOP is 200 GB! THAT"S IT! We're talking fancy tape players, not god damned multimedia studios! Jesus, and at that point, not even firewire would be able to save you. Yes, the Nomad is big, but it's only so they can say "We have the bigger one" But I don't know if you've ever actaully *seen* a Nomad Jukebox, it has a name like that for a specific reason, the thing is the size of a real life juke-box! Take your CD player, and increase the thickness by 1/2 an inch, that's a Nomad, it's not fitting it your pocket. And all the buttons! Simplicity, and portability are key here...that's why the iPod is great.

15. davei macrumors newbie

I for one would love a 40GB iPod - I could have 80 or so albums stored in lossless AIFF/WAV format (yeah, I'm an audiophile.)

16. rugby macrumors regular

Last time I checked I had about 21gb of music which was 11.5 days worth. My poor little 5gb iPod gets quite a workout transferring different music to it all the time. I think I'll pick up a 20gb and hand this one down to my wife.

17. rugby macrumors regular

I've heard that iPods with aiff/wav files skip a lot because the song is physically larger than the anti-skip ram that the iPod uses to buffer songs.

18. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

AH I would LOOOOVE to have a 40 GIG ipod.
    SO long MP3 crap. sadly (well it's still great! :) )
    I'm stuck with a 5 GB with 350 songs.....
    ah well

19. King Cobra macrumors 603

All right, faxmaster.

I only brought up 400GB because it would show more of the number 6 in the number of hours of playback. I am well aware of a 400GB being ridiculous enough. NOBODY will EVER need that for just music for a REAL LONG DAMN TIME.

davei, rugby, from personal experience, I originally uploaded just AIFF files onto the iPod. I did get some skipping, but that is because if a file is bigger than the RAM allowed for it, not all of the song can be ported to the RAM (RAM = no moving parts, no skipping). Also, the battery life would drain in a quick 2 hours.

If you are looking for a 40GB for AIFF music quality you will also need one HUGE RAM chip. And do you know how much those cost alone?

So, a huge RAM chip + a 1.8 inch 40GB Hard Drive should only cost around $600 to $1000. Does anyone still want to pay for that?

20. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Toshiba does not make, and has not announced, a 1.8" (PC Card sized) HD with higher than 20GB capacity. Nobody else even makes drives that small. Getting 20GB into that form factor is still a pretty impressive technical feat. The drives are expensive, but they're what makes the iPod so small. Other manufacturers (including Creative) are using 2.5" laptop drives, which use a bit more power and consume a lot more space. They're cheaper to make and sell, but the result is the clunky "jukebox" players that are too big to drop in a pocket and too ugly to leave out in plain sight. In the meantime, the second generation iPods are actually slimmer.

I find it interesting that Creative pushes out the 40G jukebox right after Apple announces the 20G iPod (not to mention a Windows version) so that they can continue claiming to have more capacity than the competition. The market for a 40GB MP3 player, as opposed to an identical player with 20GB of space priced substantially cheaper, can't be that large. It suggests that the iPod is a sufficiently compelling product that other companies are willing to make potentially costly strategic moves to gain or keep an edge.

21. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Well, 320kbps is what I meant to say. ;)

22. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

80,000 Songs In Your Pocket!
    Nearly seven and a half months of nonstop music with no repeats!

23. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

If music ever becomes a FREE media, then 400GB will seem more reasonable. :)

24. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

i have more than 20GB of video game music...
    i would so love a 40GB, my "regular" cd collection would fit on it...
    i'd need another one for all ther music i DL though...

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you'd have to play it through some studio monitors to tell the difference.

if you're listening through headphones, may as well use 192 kbps mp3 encoding.