4200 RMP (TiBook) HD fast enough for video?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Pablo, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Pablo macrumors regular

I do a limited amount of video editing on my PC (using Adobe Premiere) from my digital video camera. I've got a few 7200 RPM IDE hard drives on this.

I know that faster hard drives are required for video capture and editing. Will the 4200 RPM hard drives in the Powerbooks be okay for limited video capture and editing (no dropped frames)?

2. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Eh, not really sure. I really wish Apple kept the BTO option available for the 5400R RPM Drive.

It should be OK for light work. If it isn't, you could always switch in another one at 5400 or even 7200.

Good Luck.

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I've found it's not a good idea to have the System on the same drive as video capture, whilst the 4200 will be fast enough for a lot of basic video, invest in 7200 firewire external, one of those 80-120 gig Maxstor or Lacies should do.

4. asparagui macrumors member

Most modern laptop drives are faster than the scsi stuff of a few years ago.

I don't know what the exact specs on your drive, but mine read/writes at 20-25MB/sec, plenty fast enough for DV.

Get a little hard drive bench proggy, find out, and then probabally never need to worry again.

-Brett
    www.universe42.com

5. iGav macrumors G3

Full res PAL capture
    +
    1 GHz TiBook
    =
    No dropped frames

Buy With Confidence......

6. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like I should be fine for what I'm looking to do.