Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flashmaiden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
CA
Hi,

I'm looking at getting the 17in 1.33ghz powerbook. Is there a big difference between the 4200rpm harddrive and the 5400 rpm??

I only seemed to be able to get the 5400rpm if i buy from apple directly. It's only a $125 upgrade but to buy extra memory from apple direct is very expensive. If I buy from another vendor, I save on memory but will lose the apple care protection if I upgrade the harddrive.

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, :confused:

Flashmaiden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
CA
4200rpm versus 5400rpm

what i was considering doing was getting the other vendor to upgrade the harddrive. they will do it for $75 bucks but if they swap out the harddrives, i'll lose the apple care. i don't think the memory is an issue. the other vendor is just much cheaper on memory than apple.

thx

Flashmaiden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
CA
i know that i will lose the warranty if i upgrade the harddrive through a vendor.

what i'm trying to figure out is if there is a big performance difference between the 4200rpm and the 5400rpm. Is it worth spending the extra money buying through apple... if i buy it through apple and upgrade the memory through apple it will cost $$$.

i can always buy the memory and install it myself... but is the faster harddrive going to make a big difference...

thanks! :confused:

Flashmaiden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
CA
thanks, yeah i will be doing video editing through and external harddrive most likely. and a lot of photoshop etc...

:)

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I've got the standard 4200 and it performs perfectly fine for me. That probably doesn't help you compare...but just wanted to add my input.

well remember the speed of the data transfer between ur firewire drives and primary drives will be limited by how fast ur laptop hard drive spins, so it doenst matter how fast ur firewire drive is.

but 5400 is good enough for a mobile workstation, you may experience some lag, and i doubt real time renders will be smooth.

zip

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2003
Hey, if you don't mind I thought I would ask a question on this thread. Where can you find out which hard drive Apple sent you?

I bought a refub that came with more RAM than it was suppose. I've forgotten what it is called (don't have the pb in front of me right now), but I have looked where it says how many RAM chips and ports there is, but I don't see break down on hard drive. Thanks!

tiktokfx

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2003
DC Metropolitan Area
Originally posted by zip
Hey, if you don't mind I thought I would ask a question on this thread. Where can you find out which hard drive Apple sent you?

I bought a refub that came with more RAM than it was suppose. I've forgotten what it is called (don't have the pb in front of me right now), but I have looked where it says how many RAM chips and ports there is, but I don't see break down on hard drive. Thanks!

Apple System Profiler -> Devices

Selecting the hard drive will show you model information.

tiktokfx

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2003
DC Metropolitan Area
Originally posted by virividox
it doesnt amtter how fast ur external is its still limited by the speed of the 4200 when transfering data to and from

It doesn't matter how fast the 4200RPM drive is when you ARE NOT COPYING FILES TO IT.

Note that I did not say "use external drives to copy files to."

If video files are stored on an external hard drive, applications read them directly off the drive and do not transfer them to the internal drive first.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
If you get another drive for the system, why not tuck the old one on the shelf and if you ever need a repair, just stick the old one back in and send it in.

Originally posted by tiktokfx
It doesn't matter how fast the 4200RPM drive is when you ARE NOT COPYING FILES TO IT.

Note that I did not say "use external drives to copy files to."

If video files are stored on an external hard drive, applications read them directly off the drive and do not transfer them to the internal drive first.

yeah but that doesnt take into account the scratch disk, by default its your primary drive, unless its set to the firewire drive then the data speed will drop because teh data will be processed on the internal

tiktokfx

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2003
DC Metropolitan Area
Data is not written to swap space unless it's really really necessary, and when you run out of real RAM, using swap on any speed drive is going to be slow as molasses.

tiktokfx

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2003
DC Metropolitan Area
Ummmm.

If someone is doing video editing, then any speed swap drive is going to bottleneck paging memory in and out, no matter what RPM it is.

Getting an external 7200 RPM drive for storing work files on is not a bad idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.