4200rpm versus 5400rpm

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Flashmaiden, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Flashmaiden macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking at getting the 17in 1.33ghz powerbook. Is there a big difference between the 4200rpm harddrive and the 5400 rpm??

I only seemed to be able to get the 5400rpm if i buy from apple directly. It's only a $125 upgrade but to buy extra memory from apple direct is very expensive. If I buy from another vendor, I save on memory but will lose the apple care protection if I upgrade the harddrive.

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, :confused:

2. tiktokfx macrumors regular

Errr... I don't believe installing RAM yourself voids the warranty.

3. Flashmaiden thread starter macrumors newbie

4200rpm versus 5400rpm

what i was considering doing was getting the other vendor to upgrade the harddrive. they will do it for $75 bucks but if they swap out the harddrives, i'll lose the apple care. i don't think the memory is an issue. the other vendor is just much cheaper on memory than apple.

thx

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    memory doesnt void the warranty

but i think the hard disk upgrade will void the warranty, unless you get an apple service center to do, but that defeats the purpose

5. Flashmaiden thread starter macrumors newbie

i know that i will lose the warranty if i upgrade the harddrive through a vendor.

what i'm trying to figure out is if there is a big performance difference between the 4200rpm and the 5400rpm. Is it worth spending the extra money buying through apple... if i buy it through apple and upgrade the memory through apple it will cost $$$.

i can always buy the memory and install it myself... but is the faster harddrive going to make a big difference...

thanks! :confused:

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

yeah the performance is noticable, depending on what you do with ur computer, so if your work isnt that intensive 4200 will beokay but if you find yourself making videos doing lots of photoshop work maybe some audio prodcution the 5400 will help

7. Flashmaiden thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, yeah i will be doing video editing through and external harddrive most likely. and a lot of photoshop etc...

:)

8. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I've got the standard 4200 and it performs perfectly fine for me. That probably doesn't help you compare...but just wanted to add my input.

9. Flashmaiden thread starter macrumors newbie

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

well remember the speed of the data transfer between ur firewire drives and primary drives will be limited by how fast ur laptop hard drive spins, so it doenst matter how fast ur firewire drive is.

but 5400 is good enough for a mobile workstation, you may experience some lag, and i doubt real time renders will be smooth.

11. Flashmaiden thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice... got me thinking even more!!

12. zip macrumors member

Hey, if you don't mind I thought I would ask a question on this thread. Where can you find out which hard drive Apple sent you?

I bought a refub that came with more RAM than it was suppose. I've forgotten what it is called (don't have the pb in front of me right now), but I have looked where it says how many RAM chips and ports there is, but I don't see break down on hard drive. Thanks!

13. tiktokfx macrumors regular

You can always just stick with the stock 4200 RPM drive, and get a nice fast 3.5" 7200 RPM drive in an external FW case for the home/office.

14. tiktokfx macrumors regular

Apple System Profiler -> Devices

Selecting the hard drive will show you model information.

15. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

it doesnt amtter how fast ur external is its still limited by the speed of the 4200 when transfering data to and from

16. tiktokfx macrumors regular

It doesn't matter how fast the 4200RPM drive is when you ARE NOT COPYING FILES TO IT.

Note that I did not say "use external drives to copy files to."

If video files are stored on an external hard drive, applications read them directly off the drive and do not transfer them to the internal drive first.

17. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

If you get another drive for the system, why not tuck the old one on the shelf and if you ever need a repair, just stick the old one back in and send it in.

18. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

yeah but that doesnt take into account the scratch disk, by default its your primary drive, unless its set to the firewire drive then the data speed will drop because teh data will be processed on the internal

19. tiktokfx macrumors regular

Data is not written to swap space unless it's really really necessary, and when you run out of real RAM, using swap on any speed drive is going to be slow as molasses.

20. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

its going to be wrtiten to swap space because if you do video editing, 1 gig of ram cant handle that

21. tiktokfx macrumors regular

Ummmm.

If someone is doing video editing, then any speed swap drive is going to bottleneck paging memory in and out, no matter what RPM it is.

Getting an external 7200 RPM drive for storing work files on is not a bad idea.