Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeabnooy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
how much faster is the hard drive in real life? And will it kill my battery faster? is it worth 115 bucks to get twenty more gigs and 28% faster rpm? is it really 28% faster in real life test?

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
don't know about 5400rpm drives, but in my experience 7200rpm drive with 8MB cache is in real-world a whopping 100% faster than 4200rpm with 2MB cache. doesn't affect battery life, but 7200rpm drive runs cooler than 4200rpm because it needs to do less working cycles. less work -> more idle -> less heat.

does this answer to your question? :)

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
mikeabnooy said:
how much faster is the hard drive in real life? And will it kill my battery faster? is it worth 115 bucks to get twenty more gigs and 28% faster rpm? is it really 28% faster in real life test?

I wish now I got the 5400 rpm. I do a lot of graphic design I would really like to upgrade but apple doesn't do that.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
robotrenegade said:
I wish now I got the 5400 rpm. I do a lot of graphic design I would really like to upgrade but apple doesn't do that.

apple authorized resellers / service centers will exchange the drive if you want to, but it of course adds to the drive cost. in my opinion it's well worth it, because when authorized people do it, it will not affect warranty.

hitachi 7k60 rocks!

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
JFreak said:
apple authorized resellers / service centers will exchange the drive if you want to, but it of course adds to the drive cost. in my opinion it's well worth it, because when authorized people do it, it will not affect warranty.

hitachi 7k60 rocks!

How do you know this? I went to both authorized resellers in my area and none of them know about this. I would really like to do this, so any point in the right direction is a good. Maybe just give me more info about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.