43 Inch Plasma and Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Wes, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I have a Powermac Dual Ghz MDD with and Ati Radeon 9000. I want to hook it up to a Pioneer 43 inch Plasma. My 9000 has ADC and DVI. My Plasma has the following inputs, AV in, S input, i/o link.a, RGB in and Y/Pb/Pr In. Are there any cables to hook them up?

thx for your replies....:cool:

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Im doing the same thing

Only my TV has A/V hookups and SVideo. Ok, you can do it with A/V or SVideo.

BUT, what im about to say, im not sure if you can do with comuters. If you can get Component Hookups out of your computer (might be like VGA-Component or DVI-Component), and you TV has component hookup, you can get 1080i lines of resolution on that TV. In other words, you will have HDTV.

3. mozez macrumors member

use a dvi to vga adapter, you can get them online or at the apple store i believe, we use them at work for dual monitors, cause we have vga and dvi and we use the dvi to vga to use the second monitor, yes, you lose the dvi quality increase, but it's a plasma and you won't notice the difference, in my opinion. anyways, the adapter can vary in cost, hopefully you don't spend too much on it. i know adc converters were not too cheap. ours came with the video cards so i'm not entirely sure how much they will be.

4. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: Im doing the same thing

<in gasping voice> Must... have.... hdtv.......... please.... give .... url.....for ...components. </voice>

5. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

Call me retarded but which of the connections I listed is vga: AV in, S input, i/o link.a, RGB in and Y/Pb/Pr In?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There should be some VGA to RGB and S-video convertors out there, they may even have embraced DVI.

7. cubist macrumors 68020

Use two adapters.

ADC (or DVI) to VGA adapter.

Then an SVGA to BNC breakout cable.

VGA is analog RGB with either composite or separate sync, depending on how the ID bits are returned. Your RGB inputs should be either 4 or 5 BNC connectors, three for Red Green Blue and one or two for either Sync or H Sync and V Sync. The VGA breakout cable will usually have 5 BNC connectors on the other end. I had several of the VGA to BNC cables but sold them, but they're a very common item.

The other connectors you have would require electronic conversion: AV = composite video (fine for Playstation), S = RGB connectorized onto a mini-DIN (for camcorders), Y/Pb/Pr luminance and quadrature chroma (for TV stations?); I have no idea what Iolink.A is.

Somewhere along the line the computer will have to decide what resolution to run the screen at.

8. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That link lists - PDP-433HDE

PC Signals VGA, SVGA, XGA, True XGA

10. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

OK, so all I need is a VGA adapter. What would be better about True XGA? Just quality?

EDIT: I just did a quick search and DVI to True XGA appear to be very few in number or non-existant. Well looks only £14.99 I'll be spending on this. Not too bad of deal.

11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ye

That should work fine.

Hmmm...I wonder how you can hook component video cables up though, I believe that would be clearer...but that should look good.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Use two adapters.

I looked at the manual for a Pioneer Plasmar tv, and one of the input is analog RGB in a computer style connector.

You should have support for VGA 640x460 through True VGA 1280x768

[read the manuals - or download them ;)]

Attached Files:

13. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

43" Plasma monitor and only 14.99 for the adapter.

I want one.
    I hate you.

No, just kidding.

Saw a video card in a shop in japan yesterday Matrox I think running three flat panel monitors with one of those 3D underwater scenes, quite amazing and the tree montors could make a kind of wrap around scene . . .