Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Hi Everyone,

You know me, you see me around cluttering up the place with my snaps.

In November I am dragging my sorry backside across the Atlantic for a week long business trip (and I suspect I will have a list of christmas toys to acquire while there).

My plan is to land in New York on Friday late afternoon, dump my stuff at my brother in laws town house and then I have until Sunday lunchtime to get in as much photography as possible before I fly to Atlanta for a few days for an event.

I used to live in New York so I dont need to squeeze in the obligatory siteseeing this time. This is about righting the wrong that in all the time I was there, I wasnt into Photography and so missed out on capturing so many memories. Then moving on to Atlanta, I have a packed agenda so will only be able to get an hour or so each lunchtime and then some minor shooting in the evening.

I thought of a "48hours in..." thread so I can mine the collective knowledge of everyone to get the hot list of must have photo locations to hit up.

SO.... given 48 hours in New York and Atlanta, where would you go?

Thanks guys.
Ken.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
B & H Photo?

I've never been to New York, but was in Atlanta for the olympics. I met my wife there in fact. I'm not sure centenary park will still look the same, but it was nice when we were there.

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
B & H Photo?

I've never been to New York, but was in Atlanta for the olympics. I met my wife there in fact. I'm not sure centenary park will still look the same, but it was nice when we were there.

B&H is a given! :) Just hope I get out with my bank account intact!

Wow that is a fabulous link to Atlanta. Turns out my hotel is right beside the Olympic park. I will go say hello for you.

Last edited:

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
If you're prepared to spend some of your precious time shopping, then yes go to B&H. I would hit Manhatten/Harlem/Bronx/Queens and pretend I'm Gilden/Meyerowitz/Winogrand/Marmelstein/Klein for a day!

I don't know anything about Atlanta!

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
If you're prepared to spend some of your precious time shopping, then yes go to B&H. I would hit Manhatten/Harlem/Bronx/Queens and pretend I'm Gilden/Meyerowitz/Winogrand/Marmelstein/Klein for a day!

I don't know anything about Atlanta!

ha ha ha... need a bit more granularity than that.

I am thinking:

NYC
- Empire State skyline shot
- W50th and Avenue of the Americas - Madmen shot
- The clock over the ticket booth in Grand Central
- Yellow Cab
- Sky Line from Brooklyn
- Times Square
- Flat Iron building
- Arch in Washington Park

Altanta
- Centennial Olympic Park
- Night Skyline shot (I like these)

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Centennial Park in Atlanta is good for street photography. If it's a nice day you'll find kids playing in the fountains and such. The Georgia Aquarium is nice as well and it's right there at the end of the park. Skip the World of Coca Cola. The Westin Peachtree is a few blocks from the park and it has the Sundial Restaurant on top (rotating restaurant on the 71st floor). You can get cool sunset and nighttime shots up there though you are shooting through glass. The historic Sweet Auburn neighborhood is near there too. That's where Martin Luther King Jr. was born and lived. A little further away...the High Museum of Art and the Michael C Carlos Museum at Emory University are also cool places to visit.

Depending on when you are there football season (American of course) might be in full swing and there will be all kinds of parties going on around the Atlanta Falcons stadium which is near the park as well.

Almost forgot...Near the Westin Peachtree is Alma Cocina. It's a great restaurant in a cool building. Good interior lobby shots. It's right beside the Ritz Carlton. Also...if you want more good food my favorites are Canoe in NW Atlanta on the Chattahoochee river (really nice to sit outside) and The West Egg for breakfast.

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Centennial Park in Atlanta is good for street photography. If it's a nice day you'll find kids playing in the fountains and such. The Georgia Aquarium is nice as well and it's right there at the end of the park. Skip the World of Coca Cola. The Westin Peachtree is a few blocks from the park and it has the Sundial Restaurant on top (rotating restaurant on the 71st floor). You can get cool sunset and nighttime shots up there though you are shooting through glass. The historic Sweet Auburn neighborhood is near there too. That's where Martin Luther King Jr. was born and lived. A little further away...the High Museum of Art and the Michael C Carlos Museum at Emory University are also cool places to visit.

Depending on when you are there football season (American of course) might be in full swing and there will be all kinds of parties going on around the Atlanta Falcons stadium which is near the park as well.

Almost forgot...Near the Westin Peachtree is Alma Cocina. It's a great restaurant in a cool building. Good interior lobby shots. It's right beside the Ritz Carlton. Also...if you want more good food my favorites are Canoe in NW Atlanta on the Chattahoochee river (really nice to sit outside) and The West Egg for breakfast.

This is getting better! I am staying in the Westin Peachtree!

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Got bored so I stuck this together last night . Don't know if it'll be of any use but figured I'd litter up the thread with it :
Numbers/letters are Subway lines .....

Statue of Liberty : 1 or 9 downtown to South Ferry . Get ferry tix online .

Lower Manhattan : Best is to take the Staten Island Ferry from South Ferry .

Get on the right side of the ferry going to Staten Island for Statue of Liberty shots ,when you get to Staten Island , get the next boat back to Manhattan , get on the front of the vessel and wait until you get the shot you want .. actually there’ll be lots of shots you’ll want . AM is best as you’ll be shooting into the sun in the PM when passing the Statue

Wall St. Bull :4,5 downtown to Bowling Green. Walk north to26 Wall St. Get there EARLY to avoid the turistas . Weekends AM probably the best.

Times Square : 42nd and Broadway and 7th . Lights at night , general freak show in the day ( the Naked Cowboy , costumed cartoon characters , topless women with the interesting parts painted over ; all of whom want to be paid for photo ops.)

The High Line : Elevated park built on an old freight rail line . Runs from 33rd down to the Meatpacking District . Runs along 12th 11th 10th Avs. There’s a bunch of access points . I use 34th and 12th .

Bryant Park/The New York Public Library /Grand Central Station :All on 42nd. The lions in front of the Library , inside Grand Central , fountain and folks hanging out in Bryant Pk. The Chrysler building is just east of Grand Central . Feel lucky? Try for a shot of the eagles .(look up … way up)

Rockefeller Center/Top of the Rock : 50th btw. 5th and 6th. Nice views of Central Park in one direction plus lower Manhattan/Empire State /1 World Trade further back in the opposite. My preference over the Empire State for skyscraper shots . You’re shooting usually through thick glass (?) so bring a handkerchief to wipe off the nose marks . If you’ve got a small diameter wide lens, maybe 46mm or less you might get between the spaces in the glass . Lots of neat details on the Rockefeller Center buildings , plus the golden Prometheus statue by the skating rink . If you have the chance and a camera with good high iso , night is a good option. Walk north on 5th to Central Park southeast corner .(by the Apple Store )

Madison Square Park/ Flatiron Building :N,Q,R, downtown to 23rd . There’s some sort of street art in the park , haven’t checked it out yet , though . watch for flare shooting the Flatiron , your looking south . Play with wide lenses if you’ve got one .

Central Park :Start from 5th and 59th (Central Park South ) (By the Apple Store)Get pix of carriages . Follow walkway into park and down by the Pond . The Gapstow Bridge crosses the Pond . Nice shots around Pond and bridge . Take the walkway past the Gapstow bridge and go down the embankment to find the location of one of the iconic Park shots , taken from the edge of the Pond facing the bridge . Head up to the Mall , walk down the Mall to the end , past the band shell . Usually there’s some sort of street performers on the Mall . At the end , you’ll run into the Betheseda fo Fountain and the Lake . If you walk to the left along the Lake , you’ll encounter the Bow Bridge , and a bunch more iconic shots , both of the bridge , and the lake with the city behind it , taken from on the bridge . If you follow the Lake to the right of Bethesda Fountain , and move away from the Lake toward the East , there’s another smaller pond where folks can rent R/C sailboats . Decent image spot for the sailboats on the lake , plus the Hans Christian Anderson Statue . Lots more stuff in the park but this’ll get you started .

The Cloisters : 190 St. on the A uptown and walk north , or the M4 bus , which may take forever from midtown . Museum of Medieval art , way uptown . Built in the style of a medieval monastery , great gardens inside . Gotta get there early , like 9:30 when it opens to avoid groups of school kids . No problems with photos , just no flash . No pix in special display areas , though .

The Guggenheim : The Frank Lloyd Wright building . Can’t stand the art inside . If you go in , they’ll let you get a vertical shot from the entry level . The security folks don’t allow photos in the upper levels .

MOMA : 53rd between 5th and 6th . Philip Johnson building . Interesting place , great for a rainy day . If you decide to eat lunch in the museum , go to the cafeteria on the

Second floor , the upstairs one ( on the 4th or 5th , don’t remember) is real pricy and no better than the caf. Or better yet , eat outside at the Halal Guys food truck… usually it’s on 53rd and 6th . Watch the hot sauce!

Chinatown Downtown F to Delancey St. ; Head to Delancey , go right , walk to Orchard , left down Orchard a couple of blocks to Canal … or Downtown 4,5,6,N,R to Canal St.. Lots of tenements with fire escapes on side St’s in Chinatown and off Delancey .Pretty good Vietnamese Banh Mi place on Orchard . The best restaurants seem to have the least tourists . There’s a couple of good Chinese bakeries on Canal for a cheap lunch .The Manhattan side of the Manhattan Bridge ends at Canal . The Manhattan side of the Williamsburg Bridge ends on Delancey. If you walk up the ramp for the Williamsburg , there’s a hole in the chain link that’ll give you a decent view of the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges .

Lots of great graffiti in Williamsburg . Cross the bridge and head to the river . Might be a bit scary at night. You can get great subway shots on the bridge , too . The J train ,and IIRC ,the M will get you over the bridge if you want to walk back into Manhattan . Get off on Marcy St. Peter Lugar Steak House is right there ( bring Money )

Brooklyn Bridge/Manhattan Bridge : Brooklyn side –Downtown A , C to Brooklyn Bridge or Downtown 2,3 to Clark St. If you use Clark St.,make a left on clark when coming out of the station , It’s a few blocks to the bridge . If you pass Pineapple St. within a couple of blocks you’re going in the right direction . Go down along the bridge approach to the waterfront . If you head left along the waterfront promenade , eventually the walk will curve awat from the river and you’ll see a bunch of pilings sticking up out of the water . There’s a road that goes right behind the pilings , it’s chained , step over the chain and get a shot of the pilings and lower Manhattan across the river . You want a wide lens for this . 20mm on a full frame will do you good , I used a 15mm CV on my M9 and was able to do some cropping . Use what you got. If you walk back to the bridge , and go under it , you’ve got the area between the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges in which to play . Know that the park areas close at sunset ( or at least they did) and the park rent-a-cops are pretty pushy about getting folks out ( just my melancholy experience) When you’re sick of taking the Brooklyn ,walk over to the Manhattan and get the shot that OBEYGIANT put in the Travel contest . From there , walk up Washington St to get to the pedestrian access for the Brooklyn Bridge . Once over the Bridge , head left on Nassau St. to Fulton , left on Fulton to the South St. Seaport . Check out the side Sts off Fulton . 1 World Trade shot looking west on Fulton or next block over . Old tall ships , waterfront toward Brooklyn Bridge , old warehouses next to South St.

Coney Island : Brooklyn bound B,D,F,N Get off at Stillwell Av. . Won’t be much going on in November . Beach’ll be closed , concessions/amusements,too.

Empire State Building : 34th and 5th . Get tix in advance . You’re shooting through chain link on the 86th floor . See Kallisti’s pic #476 in the AugustPOTD

1 World Trade : E southbound to World Trade Center. Haven’t been there yet.

The Unisphere: #7 to Queens , get off at Shea Stadium . It’s a haul ,and a walk . See Miltz’ pic in the ‘Keep it cool ‘ contest . There’s something similar near Columbus Circle ( 8th Av and W. 59th )(southwest corner of Central Park) . There’s also an ‘Atlas’ statue in Rockefeller Center on 5th near St. Pats.

The Gantry’s : Looks interesting re: Manhattan view , but I’ve never been there . Think you get there via the 7 train .

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Got bored so I stuck this together last night . Don't know if it'll be of any use but figured I'd litter up the thread with it :

Get on the right side of the ferry going to Staten Island for Statue of Liberty shots ,when you get to Staten Island , get the next boat back to Manhattan , get on the front of the vessel and wait until you get the shot you want .. actually there’ll be lots of shots you’ll want . AM is best as you’ll be shooting into the sun in the PM when passing the Statue

Wall St. Bull :4,5 downtown to Bowling Green. Walk north to26 Wall St. Get there EARLY to avoid the turistas . Weekends AM probably the best.

Times Square : 42nd and Broadway and 7th . Lights at night , general freak show in the day ( the Naked Cowboy , costumed cartoon characters , topless women with the interesting parts painted over ; all of whom want to be paid for photo ops.)

The High Line : Elevated park built on an old freight rail line . Runs from 33rd down to the Meatpacking District . Runs along 12th 11th 10th Avs. There’s a bunch of access points . I use 34th and 12th .

Bryant Park/The New York Public Library /Grand Central Station :All on 42nd. The lions in front of the Library , inside Grand Central , fountain and folks hanging out in Bryant Pk. The Chrysler building is just east of Grand Central . Feel lucky? Try for a shot of the eagles .(look up … way up)

Rockefeller Center/Top of the Rock : 50th btw. 5th and 6th. Nice views of Central Park in one direction plus lower Manhattan/Empire State /1 World Trade further back in the opposite. My preference over the Empire State for skyscraper shots . You’re shooting usually through thick glass (?) so bring a handkerchief to wipe off the nose marks . If you’ve got a small diameter wide lens, maybe 46mm or less you might get between the spaces in the glass . Lots of neat details on the Rockefeller Center buildings , plus the golden Prometheus statue by the skating rink . If you have the chance and a camera with good high iso , night is a good option. Walk north on 5th to Central Park southeast corner .(by the Apple Store )

Madison Square Park/ Flatiron Building :N,Q,R, downtown to 23rd . There’s some sort of street art in the park , haven’t checked it out yet , though . watch for flare shooting the Flatiron , your looking south . Play with wide lenses if you’ve got one .

Central Park :Start from 5th and 59th (Central Park South ) (By the Apple Store)Get pix of carriages . Follow walkway into park and down by the Pond . The Gapstow Bridge crosses the Pond . Nice shots around Pond and bridge . Take the walkway past the Gapstow bridge and go down the embankment to find the location of one of the iconic Park shots , taken from the edge of the Pond facing the bridge . Head up to the Mall , walk down the Mall to the end , past the band shell . Usually there’s some sort of street performers on the Mall . At the end , you’ll run into the Betheseda fo Fountain and the Lake . If you walk to the left along the Lake , you’ll encounter the Bow Bridge , and a bunch more iconic shots , both of the bridge , and the lake with the city behind it , taken from on the bridge . If you follow the Lake to the right of Bethesda Fountain , and move away from the Lake toward the East , there’s another smaller pond where folks can rent R/C sailboats . Decent image spot for the sailboats on the lake , plus the Hans Christian Anderson Statue . Lots more stuff in the park but this’ll get you started .

The Cloisters : 190 St. on the A uptown and walk north , or the M4 bus , which may take forever from midtown . Museum of Medieval art , way uptown . Built in the style of a medieval monastery , great gardens inside . Gotta get there early , like 9:30 when it opens to avoid groups of school kids . No problems with photos , just no flash . No pix in special display areas , though .

The Guggenheim : The Frank Lloyd Wright building . Can’t stand the art inside . If you go in , they’ll let you get a vertical shot from the entry level . The security folks don’t allow photos in the upper levels .

MOMA : 53rd between 5th and 6th . Philip Johnson building . Interesting place , great for a rainy day . If you decide to eat lunch in the museum , go to the cafeteria on the

Second floor , the upstairs one ( on the 4th or 5th , don’t remember) is real pricy and no better than the caf. Or better yet , eat outside at the Halal Guys food truck… usually it’s on 53rd and 6th . Watch the hot sauce!

Chinatown Downtown F to Delancey St. ; Head to Delancey , go right , walk to Orchard , left down Orchard a couple of blocks to Canal … or Downtown 4,5,6,N,R to Canal St.. Lots of tenements with fire escapes on side St’s in Chinatown and off Delancey .Pretty good Vietnamese Banh Mi place on Orchard . The best restaurants seem to have the least tourists . There’s a couple of good Chinese bakeries on Canal for a cheap lunch .The Manhattan side of the Manhattan Bridge ends at Canal . The Manhattan side of the Williamsburg Bridge ends on Delancey. If you walk up the ramp for the Williamsburg , there’s a hole in the chain link that’ll give you a decent view of the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges .

Lots of great graffiti in Williamsburg . Cross the bridge and head to the river . Might be a bit scary at night. You can get great subway shots on the bridge , too . The J train ,and IIRC ,the M will get you over the bridge if you want to walk back into Manhattan . Get off on Marcy St. Peter Lugar Steak House is right there ( bring Money )

Brooklyn Bridge/Manhattan Bridge : Brooklyn side –Downtown A , C to Brooklyn Bridge or Downtown 2,3 to Clark St. If you use Clark St.,make a left on clark when coming out of the station , It’s a few blocks to the bridge . If you pass Pineapple St. within a couple of blocks you’re going in the right direction . Go down along the bridge approach to the waterfront . If you head left along the waterfront promenade , eventually the walk will curve awat from the river and you’ll see a bunch of pilings sticking up out of the water . There’s a road that goes right behind the pilings , it’s chained , step over the chain and get a shot of the pilings and lower Manhattan across the river . You want a wide lens for this . 20mm on a full frame will do you good , I used a 15mm CV on my M9 and was able to do some cropping . Use what you got. If you walk back to the bridge , and go under it , you’ve got the area between the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges in which to play . Know that the park areas close at sunset ( or at least they did) and the park rent-a-cops are pretty pushy about getting folks out ( just my melancholy experience) When you’re sick of taking the Brooklyn ,walk over to the Manhattan and get the shot that OBEYGIANT put in the Travel contest . From there , walk up Washington St to get to the pedestrian access for the Brooklyn Bridge . Once over the Bridge , head left on Nassau St. to Fulton , left on Fulton to the South St. Seaport . Check out the side Sts off Fulton . 1 World Trade shot looking east on Fulton or next block over . Old tall ships , waterfront toward Brooklyn Bridge , old warehouses next to South St.

Coney Island : Brooklyn bound B,D,F,N Get off at Stillwell Av. . Won’t be much going on in November . Beach’ll be closed , concessions/amusements,too.

Empire State Building : 34th and 5th . Get tix in advance . You’re shooting through chain link on the 86th floor . See Kallisti’s pic #476 in the AugustPOTD

The Unisphere: #7 to Queens , get off at Shea Stadium . It’s a haul ,and a walk . See Miltz’ pic in the ‘Keep it cool ‘ contest . There’s something similar near Columbus Circle ( 8th Av and W. 59th )(southwest corner of Central Park) . There’s also an ‘Atlas’ statue in Rockefeller Center on 5th near St. Pats.

The Gantry’s : Looks interesting re: Manhattan view , but I’ve never been there . Think you get there via the 7 train .

OMG!!!

You are an absolute hero! This was exactly what I was planning to do... plan my attack with the camera... This is genius!

NOW! I am planning on taking my A7 but then need to choose glass... I am thinking 35 and 50s BUT...

DO I go native Zeiss FEs for auto focus? or do I go Leica Summiluxes (nervous of carrying £5K of glass with me)....

Do I lug my 70-200 too?

AND....

Do I get a A7ii to get the IBIS for the trip ?

questions questions...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
OMG!!!

You are an absolute hero! This was exactly what I was planning to do... plan my attack with the camera... This is genius!

NOW! I am planning on taking my A7 but then need to choose glass... I am thinking 35 and 50s BUT...

DO I go native Zeiss FEs for auto focus? or do I go Leica Summiluxes (nervous of carrying £5K of glass with me)....

Do I lug my 70-200 too?

AND....

Do I get a A7ii to get the IBIS for the trip ?

questions questions...
Couldn't you pick up cheaper equipment abroad?

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Probably... But if i go into B&H I will spend a fortune. I dont trust myself...
You have to do what I do ..... know what you want and how much it is , take the credit cards out of your wallet , bring enough cash for your purchase , plus a dirty water dog from a pushcart if it's lunchtime , plus my bus fare back to Jersey . You're dead meat if you go in there with an AMEX .

Another thought for your trip .... Diner Neon ... check out the Tick Tock Diner diagonally across from Penn Station on 34th and 8th , and the other diner down past B&H on 34th for nighttime neon . Not sure if they've got it but both are stainless steel diners , and it's worth a shot .

Don't sweat over agonizing on an upcoming trip .... I do it all the time . Planning out something for next month right now . The choices....the choices !

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
W
You have to do what I do ..... know what you want and how much it is , take the credit cards out of your wallet , bring enough cash for your purchase , plus a dirty water dog from a pushcart if it's lunchtime , plus my bus fare back to Jersey . You're dead meat if you go in there with an AMEX .

Another thought for your trip .... Diner Neon ... check out the Tick Tock Diner diagonally across from Penn Station on 34th and 8th , and the other diner down past B&H on 34th for nighttime neon . Not sure if they've got it but both are stainless steel diners , and it's worth a shot .

Don't sweat over agonizing on an upcoming trip .... I do it all the time . Planning out something for next month right now . The choices....the choices !

Well this time I thought I would plan it out so as to not waste any time.

So thought a semblance of a plan would be good :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

What's a dirty water dog?

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
This is getting better! I am staying in the Westin Peachtree!

It's a nice hotel. The higher up the better of course. It's worth eating in the Sundial. A bit pricey but the food was pretty good. The views are the best in Atlanta. I would recommend Alma Cocina across the street for diner. It's pretty good. It's in 191 Peachtree Tower. Check out the lobby and then the hallways where the elevator banks are in that building. Interesting pics in there if you like interiors. Check out the massive concrete pillars that the Westin is built on when you are in the central lobby. That part of Atlanta is not that happening for nightlife. It's mostly a business area but I've seen some nice pics of Centennial Park at night and of the Ferris Wheel they have there.

filmbufs

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Oklahoma

Brooklyn Bridge/Manhattan Bridge : Brooklyn side –Downtown A , C to Brooklyn Bridge or Downtown 2,3 to Clark St. If you use Clark St.,make a left on clark when coming out of the station , It’s a few blocks to the bridge . If you pass Pineapple St. within a couple of blocks you’re going in the right direction . Go down along the bridge approach to the waterfront . If you head left along the waterfront promenade , eventually the walk will curve awat from the river and you’ll see a bunch of pilings sticking up out of the water . There’s a road that goes right behind the pilings , it’s chained , step over the chain and get a shot of the pilings and lower Manhattan across the river . You want a wide lens for this . 20mm on a full frame will do you good , I used a 15mm CV on my M9 and was able to do some cropping . Use what you got. If you walk back to the bridge , and go under it , you’ve got the area between the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges in which to play . Know that the park areas close at sunset ( or at least they did) and the park rent-a-cops are pretty pushy about getting folks out ( just my melancholy experience) When you’re sick of taking the Brooklyn ,walk over to the Manhattan and get the shot that OBEYGIANT put in the Travel contest . From there , walk up Washington St to get to the pedestrian access for the Brooklyn Bridge . Once over the Bridge , head left on Nassau St. to Fulton , left on Fulton to the South St. Seaport . Check out the side Sts off Fulton . 1 World Trade shot looking west on Fulton or next block over . Old tall ships , waterfront toward Brooklyn Bridge , old warehouses next to South St.

Wow, that's fabulous information. I'll be filing this away for a hopeful trip to NY sometime in the future. Awesome.

It would be cool anyone knows where they shot the classic image seen on the movie poster for Woody Allen's Manhattan. You know, where Woody & Diane Keaton are sitting on a bench with a bridge seen in the background? I love that image.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Wow, that's fabulous information. I'll be filing this away for a hopeful trip to NY sometime in the future. Awesome.

It would be cool anyone knows where they shot the classic image seen on the movie poster for Woody Allen's Manhattan. You know, where Woody & Diane Keaton are sitting on a bench with a bridge seen in the background? I love that image.
It was an awesome but of work. I am humbled that he took time to write that up for me/us. Very very good. I had my map ready to plot out my points of attack and here we got an itinerary. Fabulous!

Wasnt the film location for the bridge Sutton Square over looking the Queensboro Bridge?

Reactions: filmbufs

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Hahaha.... You all know what I want... But I dont want to carry THAT much cash with me! Monetary vehicle is irrelevant in this case... Regardless of payment method, I will be significantly less liquid post B&H pilgrimage...

And it is that. A pilgrimage... 7 hour journey and all I can think of is the camera shop at the end of the line. Lol... I should be shot.

rx7dude

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Toronto
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but B&H closes at 2pm on Friday and re-opens at 10am on Sunday.
You'll have to order online ahead of time and ship to your bro ;)
I had my D610 with the 24-85 zoom and had no problem with the glass at the Rockefeller centre.
However, you might want to consider an ultra-wide angle. For me, 24mm was not enough.

Great Thread BTW.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
I'll save you some money..... B&H is closes early on Fridays ( before sundown) and is closed Saturdays . They're open Sundays , but you might be trapped for time then . Think I'd bring a 24-70 24-105 or similar if you've got one , and a 35 to play street photographer with . you know you want to bring your 35 'lux .

OOPS!! too late RX7DUDE beat me with the 'bad' news .

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Seconding the Highline. Such a cool place in the city. You feel like your on a wilderness hike in the middle of one of the world's biggest cities. Presents some great photo ops too. Enjoy your travels!

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but B&H closes at 2pm on Friday and re-opens at 10am on Sunday.
I had my D610 with the 24-85 zoom and had no problem with the glass at the Rockefeller centre.
However, you might want to consider an ultra-wide angle. For me, 24mm was not enough.

Great Thread BTW.

Really? oh... OK, then that means I am blasting up to B&H before I high tail it for the airport then.... thanks for the heads up...

24-70... Yeah good thought. I only have the 28-70 kit zoom or the 70-200 G and awesome primes though... maybe a quick purchase of the 24-70 Zeiss is needed...

Reactions: rx7dude

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Great Thread BTW.

It is turning out to be a fab thread. Maybe we need to kick off 48 hours in... threads for other locations too... ?

Reactions: filmbufs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.