Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xgsrpg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
When ordering my PowerBook, I decided I might want to get an external mouse for my laptop. I saw the Apple Mouse, then I saw the price of $49. I know there's the Apple quality thing, but is paying $49 really worth it for a one-button optical mouse? I mean, I can get a Memorex optical scroll mouse for $11.99 at CompUSA. Is there any reason why an Apple mouse should be purchased above a third-party, and is it really worth the extra $37.01?

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
although i'm getting used to the one button clicker on the PB, it's an annoyance. i'm waiting for the right BT mouse, then i'm gonna leave this one button hellhole. i've been pressing Ctrl-click a LOT.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
xgsrpg said:
When ordering my PowerBook, I decided I might want to get an external mouse for my laptop. I saw the Apple Mouse, then I saw the price of $49. I know there's the Apple quality thing, but is paying $49 really worth it for a one-button optical mouse? I mean, I can get a Memorex optical scroll mouse for $11.99 at CompUSA. Is there any reason why an Apple mouse should be purchased above a third-party, and is it really worth the extra $37.01?
Not unless you're buying it for looks (and even then, it was designed to match the old G4s, not powerbooks). It's a fine mouse, but not that fine. A lot of people on these forums seem to like the MS intellimouse. I just stick with the trackpad.

FasterSoonerNow

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
Unless you want Apple-branded EVERYTHING, there's really no reason to go with the Apple wireless mouse.

Third-party ones are far more useful and effective, and many (Logitech, Kensington, even Microsoft) are just as high in quality/reliability as Apple.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
Nope, every new Mac I get I toss the mouse instantly in a drawer and go buy a new logitech for it. I think I have 4 Apple Pro Mice in my drawer now. I am a strong proponent of using the dual mouse button features in Mac OS X. There is no reason that Mac mice cost that much, or for them to still be single button, since the OS is clearly geared toward dual button mice.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
kaltsasa said:
Nope, every new Mac I get I toss the mouse instantly in a drawer and go buy a new logitech for it. I think I have 4 Apple Pro Mice in my drawer now. I am a strong proponent of using the dual mouse button features in Mac OS X. There is no reason that Mac mice cost that much, or for them to still be single button, since the OS is clearly geared toward dual button mice.

well, then, maybe you'd be willing to sell one of yours to xpsrg, cheap? :)

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
They don't work well with powerbooks(or Ibooks for that matter) if you are right handed as they have really short cords and have to reach around the back to the right. You can get a Logitech round here for 15 bucks or under, which is of the same quality or better, with two buttons and a scroll wheel. Would cost more to ship one of these mice than it would be worth IMHO. If the Memorex is USB it will work fine.

I use a Microsoft Intelimouse on my Mac at work and I hate the big M as much as the next guy but they are very very nice mice.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Personally, i love Apple mice for the shape, feel, and appearance... They get good tracking resolution... tho the cord is flimsy, and of course it's one button... I'm going to have to switch to a 4 or 5 button mouse soon, i use those everyplace else but have resisted going to a non-apple mouse at home. Should tell you how addictive they are, at least to a true Apple lover :) 'course, with a bit of luck, before long i won't *have* to switch away from Apple to go multi-button... but let's not start that.

paul

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
Would 4/5 button mice work on the Apple? I think it would be wonderful to map some expose features to those extra buttons...

Anyone know how to get the click of a scroll wheel to register as a button?

Thnx for input

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
If its a Microsoft or Logitech Mouse they both have control panels for their mice so using 4/5 button mice shouldn't be a problem maping buttons with those companies.

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
mulletman13 said:
Would 4/5 button mice work on the Apple? I think it would be wonderful to map some expose features to those extra buttons...

Anyone know how to get the click of a scroll wheel to register as a button?

Thnx for input

I have both a wired Intellimouse and the Apple Wireless Mouse. After downloading the driver off of Microsoft's website, you can custom map to any of the 5 buttons (left, right, two side buttons and the scroll wheel). By default the pressing the scroll wheel flips through open apps. If I had my choice, I would have bought the BT Microsoft Intellimouse instead of Apple's mouse, but the Apple mouse was a gift.

Mem

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2004
I've been looking at mice to buy for the new Powerbook I ordered. I'm not sure if I want to go wireless. I'm a little confused as to how it actually works and am wondering if it's worth it? Anyway, the one I'm leaning towards is the Logitech 931006-0403 Silver Cordless Optical Mouse. ANybody have any experience with this particular mouse?

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I wouldn't recommend buying the one button mice from apple. I think there annoying and a rip off. I would say get a cheap 12-15$ logitech from compusa, microcenter, or tiger direct.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My wife has a built in BT in her PowerBook. She likes the freedom that she has with the Apple wireless mouse.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
i really want an apple mouse......i like the feel, the quality...and of course the looks....but that's me.......i'm really dying to get one.........but i ain't got a penny left (just bought a powerbook a week ago, and i'm pretty much broke!) :(

colinp

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2004
Does anyone know of a link that shows all available bluetooth enabled mice? Or even reviews of them...? I like the idea of wireless mice, but so many of them I see have the little USB connector thing (which is, to my understanding, RF transmitter, right? or at least something that isn't bluetooth...). I just don't want to add the bulk to my Powerbook (even if it isn't THAT bad).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.