49ers barely alive, raiders pretty much dead for season

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Nov 29, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the san francisco bay area is not well represented in pro football this year

and the baseball season, well...what a heartbreaker that was!

we did not make a showing, As or giants, in the world series this year but many were hopeful

last week was a must win for the 49ers to be considered a serious playoff contender, and they lost that one...and being in third place three games back with only five to go does not bid well the the team

generally, a team does not come together 3/4 of the way into the season while having their remaining list of teams to play, and the teams in their division, all simultaneously decide to fall apart at the seams

i have never seen a situation where a team i rooted for in any sport needed to suddenly get good late in the season while having two or more key competitors fall apart at the same time

maybe once in a decade i see my team, whoever it is at the time, get good late in the season while one key competitor falls apart, but that is something i have seen maybe two or three times

but i am hoping for a playoff berth for the niners where three or four out of five teams will fall to them, the hot seahawks and the hot rams will cool down fast losing the next three or four games in the remaining five, and somehow all this will transpire between now and the end of december...what are the ods of that?

oh, and i want the rest of the nfc to somehow get injuries (not bad, but things like broken thumbs) to all their starting QBs, have their coaches get stranded at the airport, and suddnely have all their kickers kick wide as if they were all just rookies playing in the snow

2. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

oh, and one more thing

he he

and have all the receivers on the competing nfc teams somehow get into a habit of doing something really kinky the night before that includes copious amounts of KY jelly which they miraculously forget to wash off their hands before they take to the field

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

after the raiders lost to the bears I didn't think much of them

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

the raiders have talent, or at least they were when they were slightly younger

age has caught up with them, but if the players were five or ten years younger on the average, they would be at the top of the afc as a sure thing year after year

some teams have young players but they lack the talent of a team like the raiders, but due to their superior speed, strength, and ability to heal from injuries, they could put up a good match against the raiders

a young team with talent this season seems to have no trouble in beating the raiders

the chiefs had an off week and it looked, for a second, that the raiders (even with all their problems), would be able to take advantage of that...but it was a close game and even with their worst playing all season, the chiefs pulled out a narrow victory but showed the rest of the nfl that even they can be vulnerable

the chiefs are at 10-1 this year, the best in the nfl, and the raiders are at 3-8 and the best they could hope for is a split season...it's so strange that only last year, the raiders hobbled around with the effects of age but played hurt and with intense spirit and got into the super bowl...but being old and battered, they got a licking at the hands of the powerhouse defense of tampa bay...it was very lopsided and they physically shut down gannon, rice, and brown and basically showed football fans that the nfl is still every bit as physical as the black and blue 70s:p

5. judith macrumors regular

judith

as a Seahawks fan, all I can say is..
    mmrrrahhhahahahaha:D

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

as a psuedo-baltimore fan all i can say is... its a damn good thing the officials in our last game cant keep time.

;)

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Stick a fork in the 'Niners after today's game...44-6?!?!? Ugh.

It's rough being a San Francisco fan sometimes...:(

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

as a patriots fan... well, you can fill in the rest. :D

9. judith macrumors regular

judith

How bout those Ravens??

Sorry, I just had to tease abit, they handed us our arses last week too.

But hey, if you're a football fan, and especially if you appreciate good defense, then you've just gotta love Ray Lewis!

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

As a long time Niners fan I have to say I'm worried. I think this year has shown the problems with lack of depth on the offensive line and the need for better receivers (other than T.O.) The kicking game is a shambles. The Niners have many good young players, especially on defense, but the ownership is likely to let them go because, unlike Eddie D., the Yorks are as cheap as you can get. I just hope these idiots (the owners) don't sneak out in the middle of the night and move to LA.

11. bcsimac macrumors 6502

I am really sad about the Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns, and the Buffalo Bills. Man all these teams were good last year....except for the Bills defense. Now the Bills have some defense but no offense. I think they traded away their offense when they traded Peerless Price away. The only team doing well in the area I grew up from is Philly.......and they are considered the long lost cousins LOL.....I am from NW PA ya see so Philly is a bit far away LOL! What happened to the Steelers defense????? and for that matter the offense? Maybe it is time to draft a really good running back and let Jerome go....I loved the Bus.....but we need a new young big running back to beat everybody up. Too much passing in Pittsburgh these days and it doesn't seem to be the real Steelers.

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

unless youre the guy he murded in atlanta ;)

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Go Jets... They can make it... if um... the whole division loses...

:rolleyes:

It could happen!

:p

14. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Saints go all the way!!!!!

<sigh> it is depressing being a Saints fan. Good thing that I am not to much into sports... </sigh>

15. judith macrumors regular

judith

Was he convicted of murder?

16. howard macrumors 68020

howard

lousy terrel owens....he was the best reciever in the league last year and now he's been nursing his pansy groin injury for all its worth...going to only one practice a week you can't expect to do very well in the game. if they can get him going they might do better..but man, what a lazy ass.

i'm cheering for the bengals

17. judith macrumors regular

judith

True dat!;)

18. bcsimac macrumors 6502

Terrel Owens is in his pre-free agent contract year. He is nursing himself so he doesn't damage his free agent value.......don't ya get it?

19. howard macrumors 68020

howard

he's being paid to play by the 49ers right now, so he should!

you don't see college players nursing themselves when they are seniors ready to get drafted.

20. bcsimac macrumors 6502

Look, players have been known to do all kinds of interesting things to improve or keep their free-agent stock. Some players don't mind being paid for lesser service and yet make the big jackpot the next year with a different team.

Look at the Keyshawn Johnson situation.......he simply didn't like John Gruden so he simply acted like a total jerk and eventually Johnny gave him his wish.....he doesn't play for them anymore since he said he didn't want to play for them anymore. Players can do things for money reasons and for personal reasons and for selfish reasons.....which is what I think motivated Keyshawn to be the way he was and I also happen to think that probably what motivates TO. Keyshawn doesn't care about the fact that Tampa paid his paycheck and I don't think TO gives a hoot either.

21. howard macrumors 68020

howard

the outlook these players have and their ethics are something that i strongly disagree with, if these are the reasons why they are acting like babies.

22. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

the player in question and the coach get paid huge amounts of money, and due to a personal issue, the team does not stand a chance this year

what gives?

23. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

no... but the main witness for the prosecution had a sudden and very dramatic change of heart about testifying after friends of lewis visited him the night before the trial...

dont get me wrong though, he plays great football ;)

24. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

and the witness could have easily also been paid off

but the niners would never get stuck with a felon;)

at least not on the playing field, but the front office, well, that's another story

25. bcsimac macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, these days this stuff happens all the time. These players think they are above the team and coaches and management and can do it all themselves.....and some like edgerin james has even said that all they care about is the money.