49ers still a dynasty?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Dec 8, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

some say that the 49ers were only a dynasty in the joe montana-steve young years when the team won five superbowls in five tries

and i thought the niners were caput when steve young left football a couple of years ago

but now that jeff garcia, stokes, and owens have helped the team win its first nfc west since the steve young years, maybe the 49ers are still a dynasty going into their 22nd year since montana led the team to its first superbowl

there was a two seaon rebuilding period instead of five or ten so it has almost been a continuous round of playoff play and superbowl expectatons for over two decades...better than the run the cowboys had under coach landry

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

well, then wait until they win their next three games and have the best record in the nfl at 12-4 and win their sixth superbowl with garcia throwing five touchdowns

nah...but it would be cool if the niners could got into the NFC conference final

green bay may be the NFC's top team this year but they have not faced stiff competition within their own division

they clinched their division last week

the raiders, while only a long term dynasty in the 70s under john madden, may never put nearly 20 good seaons together in 22 or 23 years, but they are looking pretty good right now, too

but i don't see a bay area matchup this year in this sport...the best chance for that was in baseball...darn those angels

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah man we will wait and see. correct me if im wrong but doesnt a team become a dynasty team if they dominate most of a certain decade?

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

'9ers clinched their division today with a nice last-minute comeback against Dallas.

I'm looking to next week's game against Green Bay as an indicator of how they'll stack up in playoffs.

Oakland looked good today against the Chargers...maybe another "Battle of the Bay"? ;)

6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

49ers superbowl winners - jan '82, jan '85, jan '89 (so the niners were the team of that decade for sure)

jan '90, and jan '95 ( the cowboys had three superbowl wins in the 1990s)

in this decade, nobody has dominated early even though i thought maybe the rams would...but still may since i think warner is in a slump right now

the rams have won a ring somewhat recently and after that they lost in a superbowl, but this year is not the one for the st. louis rams

if you want to go by decades then

dynasty of the 60s - green bay
    dynasty of the 70s - pittsburgh
    dynasty of the 80s - san francisco
    dynasty of the 90s - dallas

dynasty of the 00s - rams? falcons? packers? bucaneers?

-those would be my choices for the future stretch...assuming no major personnel changes or career ending injuries

7. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

The Rams won their superbowl by an inch, trust me, I was there (wearing a big flaming T on my shirt, if you hadn't guessed.) The Rams of that year could not beat the Titans of today ( definitely could have beat last years Titans), much less this years Rams.

I won't go on the limb and Say TN will be a dynasty team (hope remains though), but I use the example to illustrate the way the league changes so quickly now. Because of money, free agency and the perogative of owners who will fire a coach for two losing seasons, the day of the dynasty is I think, sadly past, we should feel lucky there are a few Franchise quarterbacks still around.

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

9. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

It was easier for teams to be a dynasty before the salary cap. I think it's too difficult to do that today. The 49ers are not heading in that direction. They're good and they'll probably be one of the better teams in the future, but I don't see them dominating like they did in the past. I don't see any team dominating as they did before salary caps.

This weekend should be a good game and I'll be at the game. My brother-in-law is from Wisconsin and a big Green Bay fan, so it should be fun. I think Farve is a better QB than Garcia. However we have TO and he's the man.

I don't like Jim Mora the defensive coordinator. I think he plays for the turnover and not the tackle. The prevent defense is preventing them from winning more games. He's highly praised by the media, but I don't like him. I also think the 49ers will ditch the Mooch if they don't get passed the first round.

The 49ers need a new stadium too.

10. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

now that no team will likely dominate a decade with three or more superbowl wins in a decade, or go to ten or more playoffs in a twenty year period,

the field of football will be more even

and more exciting!

i think the patriots came out of nowhere and i found that kind of fun

same with the rams

same with the ravens

but i expected denver a few years back to do something big...at least get in one more superbowl

...but instead they won two, and back to back, and that must have been great for a retiring elway and the denver organization!