4G 40gb Ipod - battery life?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by windowsforeyes, Jun 23, 2005.

1. windowsforeyes macrumors newbie

Jun 17, 2005
    ok, so they projected battery life is 12, but i swear mine gets between 4-6 hours. is that normal? does anyone else here have this same ipod - what kind of battery life do you get?
  2. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    Yeah I bought a 4G iPod and when I got it only had like 4-6 hours out of it. i was pretty pissed and went to the mac store and said thats false advertisement. He didnt really even check it out since there really is no way of checking the battery out unless he really felt like using it for 6 hours. But anyhow he just gave me a another one. Which now lasts just about 9-10 hours. If you are still in the 1 year warranty I would really suggest you go and try to argue it up with them
  3. windowsforeyes thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 17, 2005
    thanks for the advice. i think i just might try that.
  4. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    yeah my battery life seems to have gone down alot in the last 2 months or so. I've had it since september and when I first got it I was getting an easy 9-10 hours(12 a few times) but now it seems to crap out after 8.
  5. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    keep in mind that the higher bitrates drain the battery faster. i have a 3G from last spring and it is about 5 hours now, but if I play 128 AAC that can go up to 7 or so.

I also heard AAC was more efficient so I recently reripped al my stuff to 128 AAC and I noticed a difference in battery, but hardly in quality, to my 192 mp3s. I mean, what's the difference if your mowing the lawn? It's not like you are in a concert hall or something ;)