4G battery

Discussion in 'iPod' started by yg17, Apr 11, 2005.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have a 4th gen 40 gig, and after about 3 hours of playback, my battery meter is at half. I'm just playing shuffle songs at a low volume, not skipping through or anything. Seems like the battery's going pretty quickly. Should I take it to an Apple Store? Thanks

Also, if Apple gives me a new one, do you know if they'd let me upgrade to a 60 gig photo and pay the difference between the 40gig and 60?

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Shuffle songs reduces battery life...

to get the maximum battery, you need to:

listen to music on a low volume
    listen to a continuous playlist (i.e., don't skip between albums, artists, playlists)
    listen to music without changing the track

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

So by continuous playlist, if instead of using shuffle songs, make a playlist in iTunes of the songs I want, get it randomized in iTunes, then sync it to the iPod? Or is that still going to hurt battery life?

4. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

Time it on a playlist.. If the battery life is still crap, take it in and get it fixed.. If it goes for hours on a playlist.. Then you know its just the shuffle songs function eating your battery life.

5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I think that will improve battery life but its not the same as just listening to the album...

but, yes it will improve your battery life:

-In Shuffle mode, your iPod has to "fetch" the songs... it builds up its cache quickly that way, and plays the songs... it is common to hear buzzing from the ipod when in shuffle... but a playlist is stored locallly, so your iPod already knows whats next...