4G Freezing, Wiping Songs and resetting itself!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by advocation, Nov 24, 2006.

1. advocation macrumors member

My 20gig 4g has recently been freezing for about 30 seconds - 3 or 4 minutes when changing songs, or going to the volume menu, or going back to the previous screen or whatever. This is really annoying.

Also, the other day it decided to wipe all of the music on there. Well, none of it was on the artist list, there was nothing.. It was still on there however as when I looked at the about page there was still loads of space used up..

It also has taken to, when taking it off hold, resetting itself, i.e. showing the apple for a few seconds and "booting up" of sorts.
    The last time it did it however it didnt loose my settings (turning off clicking from the speaker and headphones!).

I dont know whats wrong with it! I've had it about 2 - 2 1/2 years, and I have looked after it. I mean, yeah, its had a couple of drops but it has worked after them..

About 6 months ago however it just stopped working, and came up with the sick ipod screen constantly. I followed a rather strange guide on the internet about dropping it, which surprisingly worked! And then it worked fine after that, just a bit slow..

What should I do? I cant afford to get a 5g, an I am wanting to wait until the next revision comes out anyway before I splash out! (I just bought a MBP so am a bit skint!).
    Is there a way of reformatting the ipod? Checking the disk for any bad sectors or anything?

Oh yeah, I also just switched from PC to Mac, and I was using a winamp plugin on my PC to manage my files, and am now on iTunes on my Mac. Dunno if that means anything!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You might try using Disk Utility to reformat it, and then restore the iPod software... but it sounds like it is going South. :( I'm sorry. The summer ends for all things... :(

3. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

If the drop method worked for you, chances are your hard drive is going out. Lets say that each time you advance a song it waits a few minutes, most likely because it is waiting for the hard drive to retrieve the next song but it can't. You could replace the hard drive for much cheaper than purchasing a new one, but I don't know how willing you are to try that. I have an iPod Mini that was dropped, then gave me the sad face. So I opened it, shook the hard drive and now it works again.

4. advocation thread starter macrumors member

Where abouts can I get a hard drive for the ipod? Could I fit a bigger hard drive into it? Where can I find a guide to do all of the modifications?

5. advocation thread starter macrumors member

Where abouts can I get a hard drive for the ipod? Could I fit a bigger hard drive into it? Where can I find a guide to do all of the modifications?