4G iPod Case and Stereo Connection Kit

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hcuar, Sep 3, 2004.

1. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I'm going to be purchasing my first piece of apple hardware next week... A 4G iPod (20 GB). If that goes well... I'll buy a new 12" powerbook with super drive in very near future. So... my multi part question:

I've been looking the accessories available direct from Apple. I see a case that has a belt clip which is important to me.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...7FTV655m3O5oVBh5mgg61HI/1.3.0.6.10.3.2.1.15.0

Is there something better available? :confused:

In addition, I'm thinking about purchasing the stereo connection kit:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...7FTV655m3O5oVBh5mgg61HI/1.3.0.6.10.3.4.1.15.0

It looks cool because it has the dock, power adaptor, and the monster audio cable. Does anyone have an opinion on that setup?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There have been reports of the tag on that causing minor scratches to the iPod. Still, if you're reasonably gentle, it should work fine. A better case might already be out which includes a belt clip - I'm not sure. I am sure that a better one with a clip will be out within a few weeks or so. The 3rd party makers just need a little time.
    I think it's a bad idea - you get everything except the dock and the audio cable with your iPod. The Dock is $40 (a bit of a rip-off, methinks). So you're basically paying an extra $40 for a splitter which you can buy for $5. $10 for a really good one. You don't need the extra power adapter, most likely.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I realize the power adapter, etc., would be nice if you wanted to leave the pod by your stereo, but, really, it's got a 12-hour battery life. Plug it in (tune-wise, not 120V-wise) when you want to jam, dock it at night. No need for all the extras.

If you don't care about spending the dough, spend a little more to get an AirPort Express and plug that into the stereo. Then you can blast tunes to it from anywhere....

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

The stereo connection kit is very nice if you want to pny up the $$$ to buy it. It keeps the iPod charged, and the dock keeps it looking good. But at $80 dollars ( I think thats the price, to lazy to check for sure) its a bit expensive.

You mentioned that you were thinking of purchasing a PB, in which case, you might want to save that $80 and put it towards an Airport express, which will stream music for you, and can be controlled remotely, IE you can search for the songs on you computer instead of the iPod. Plus its a wireless router, and very portable. Just a thought.

If not, I feel the Stereo Kit is money well spent if you want to play your iPod through the stereo fairly often.

5. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

Ok... I think I'll buy the stereo kit... I want to keep the iPod in a secure place (the dock) when attached to the receiver. An optical out would have been nice. :( I also like being able to hook up the iPod direct to the stereo. It's attactive to be able to keep a fresh charge for when I go mobile.

As to the case... I'm still not sure what to do. When in the belt clip case, is the click wheel still accessible?

I'd consider cutting the tag out if it causes a problem. I just want to minimze the taking it in and out of the case. It looks a little loose fitting. I'd rather have some sort of "frog" skin case with a clip. I guess I could forgo the clip if someone has an idea for a better case. Ideas? :confused:

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Consider buying these. Looks much better!

7. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

Allow me to say... Booyah! :D

8. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I keep my iPod in my pocket all the time and I can still use the click wheel through my pants, so I'm sure it will work through a thin layer of plastic. Some cases don't have anything in front of the wheel either, so it may not be an issue.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if anyone looks at me weird when they see me carressing my pocket when I adjust the volume...

The protection on that is great, I just wish they had a clear or white one. I'm a sucker for the original white color, just looks cooler to me.

9. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

Now, now... Just make sure no little children are around. :eek:

10. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

ha ha ha!! :D:D

11. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

Well... the deed is done... I bought the 20 Gb 4G iPod, stereo connection kit and the iSkin eVo2 case! Can't wait... Should be here in a week or so!

Almost had the wife talked into the 12" iBook today... Oh well, a little at a time. :rolleyes:

12. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Congrats!

I bought my iPod along with a 12" iBook using the Cram and Jam offer... my wife absolutely loves both of them! The plan is that come January/February I will be getting a new 15" Pbook and then my wife will get the iBook for work. But now I think I'll be getting a 15" Pbook and another iPod because my wife absolutely loves mine!