4G iPod Debug Mode

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Einherjar, Jul 29, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

Has anyone figured out the 4G debug mode?

The original debug mode combination no longer works (no duh, Apple definitely wants to keep this thing under wraps as much as possible).

I've tried several different ways of making it enter debug mode--perhaps they've completely removed it from the unit itself and made it a staple of the technician station, like a special dock or something. Unlikely, but it still has me ask the question:

Has anyone figured out the debug combo yet?

2. macrumors 6502a

OK, I'll ask-.... Huh???? What's the "debug mode" ?...

3. macrumors member

I thinks its referring to something also known as "diagnostic mode." On, the 3g iPod you could press a certain button combination to enter it, and it revealed hidden features of the ipod, like voice recording, which were later unlocked with 3rd party accessories. I too have wondered how to access the 4g diagnostic mode, since the 3g combination is impossible to do with a click wheel.

4. macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Intriguing. Perhaps when some one figures out how to enter debug mode we'll discover the secrets of the 4G iPod. Although, maybe Apple learned their lesson with the 3G and won't let their secret be so easily discovered this time.

5. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. The new click wheel probably makes it all a bit more difficult.

6. macrumors 6502

How can you access this mode on the 3G iPod? Also, and probably more importantly, does it bring anything of use?

7. macrumors 68000

jimsowden

We all know with the 3G it was play and menu to reset and then ff and rw to enter diagnostic. I think the 4gs are the same as the mini, which is menu and select then rw and select. I don't have one infront of me, i will search for the document.
    Edit: Just checked, they are the same.

8. macrumors 65816

Elan0204

And did you find anything secret in there?

9. thread starter macrumors regular

I poked around, couldn't find anything.

What exactly does 'HP' stand for in those menus. It's everywhere--has its own test as well as many references in the remote section.

10. macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Does it have anything to do with the HP iPod that's supposed to be coming soon?

11. macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

it would sure make sense but as to what it is exactly your guess is as good as mine

12. thread starter macrumors regular

I honestly don't think so.

But, we'll see what it is eventually.

13. macrumors regular

so you just have to hold down rw and select?
    It isn't working for me.
    Play and select resets it for me, but rw and select do nothing.

14. macrumors regular

Yeah, I can also get it to reset, but rw + select does nothing. Is there a specific timing issue with pressing the buttons? Perhaps I'm just not hitting them at the exactly same time or something...

15. macrumors member

I just did it:
    Reset, then hold down fast forward, rewind, and select, as soon as the apple logo appears. (This is for the 3g)

16. macrumors 6502a

Maybe the new iPod is really an AirPort Express remote...

I entered iPod mini debug mode and I think it's broken. I pressed on "RAM" and now all it says is "Testing" with a black bar on the bottom of the screen (a few millimeters in width). Help? EDIT: Fixed it.

17. macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I think if there genuinely is going to be anything new and added, Apple will release it in a software/firmware combination update. It's not too hard & they can just add that new firmware in new units shipped after they make the new announcement...

They know the community too well to just put it on the existing firmware. I seriously doubt this whole Time Magazine thing is anything more than a journalist referring to the pull cord pause feature or a new audio recorder that does stereo. We can hope though right?

18. thread starter macrumors regular

Good point. We might be barking up the wrong tree; just some idiot writer.

19. macrumors newbie

HP = Headphones

The HP Detect menu is for detecting the presence of headphones in the headphone jack, as well as the status of the Hold button.

Here's what the menu looks like:
    HPDETECT​
    HP 1 [The status of the headphones; 0 = false, 1 = true.]​
    HOLD SW [My guess is that it's just another label.... :) ]​
    HOLD 0 [The status of the hold switch; 0 = off, 1 = on.]​

20. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

The important thing it used to do was be able to test the recording feature that wasn't released until some time later.