4G iPod guts into a 3G case!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by katie ta achoo, Sep 5, 2005.

1. macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    So, I have a thing against click wheels. They make me nervous.

I don't know why, but they do.
    A lot.

Take the guts of a 4G iPod (color screen blababla)
    put them in the 3G shell
    (so I have all the awesome four-button layout instead of stupidtacular click wheel.)

OR OR
    This could also work:
    I put a color screen on my 3G iPod and somehow get the firmware to be like that of a 4G.

I asked Chris at the genius bar and he basically asked:
    Do you just modify things for fun?
    So, how big of a loser ARE you?
    Have you ever been on a date?

so, I don't have the support of the Apple store in this endeavor, and even though they've looked past my warranty voiding activities, I don't think they'll be able to see past this one..

so what do y'all think?
  2. macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    what model of ipod do you have? if it's a 40gb 4g or any sort of color screen it wont work--40gb used a 2 platter drive (as did 40 and 60 photo and 60 color-screen) and all the color screens use a thicker battery. also i'm sure there's a lot of 3g specific hardware, ie things for the controls that are different than the 4g. i imagine it'd be a lot more work than it's worth, and you'd prolly need *mad* skills to pull it off.
    edit: however, if the only problem with your 3g (assumign that's what you'd use for the case) is that the hard drive's broken i see no reason you couldn't swap in a 20gb or a single platter 30gb drive in there.
  3. macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    wouldn't it just be swap the HD (or keep the HD even) and just add a color screen - the 4G and 3G firmware is basically the same except the 3G can't do the special podcast thing that the 4G can... ooohhh = no difference
  4. macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    please enlighten us as to this podcast thing :) :confused:
  5. macrumors 65816

May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    Have you every seen, or read, Lemony Snicket's: A Series of Unfortunate Events? Aunt Josephine?

Anyhou, sounds like a job for good old trial and error, probably more on the error side, but as said about there's a fair bit of difference between the two, not only in size but also in firmware etc.

Good luck though
  6. thread starter macrumors G3

May 2, 2005

HHHHHHhhhhmmmMMmmmmm...... so will I get super special image viewing on it?

btw, it's 30 gig guts into 15 gig skeleton.
  7. macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Well if you dont care about your warranty or not having a working iPod go right ahead Dr. Moreau.
  8. macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hey I can't believe there is actually other people out there that have thought of this. I have been wanting to buy a color screen/photo iPod for a long time now but I am too attached to my 3G iPod's controlls.

I think the 4G is a step backwards compared to the 3G on the exterior. That's pretty much the only thing thats been stopping me from moving to a color screen iPod, and the fact that I don't really need one. Well, like what has been said before, its probably way too much work to actually pull such a thing off.

Guess, I'll just have to tough it up and use a fricken click wheel.....
  9. macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i dont think it will work personally, its a total Generation step... size difference, firmware, and possibly different connectors for the clickwheel and solidstate controls which is where i would think most of your problems would happen.

if you were just switching harddrives i would say that it could very well work, but, since you are going for the screen and the like as well....

good luck!
  10. thread starter macrumors G3

May 2, 2005

*le sigh*

I guess, so too.

:( :(

I'm gonna be all backwards when I finally have to deal with it.

....stupid click wheel.
  11. macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    know what, i didn't think i would like it at first either, and its still not the best solution in my book, but it is a lot better than the 3G iPods in the end, just give it a chance... i was stubborn at first too, i miss the backlights on the 3Gs the most though.
  12. macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    Hey, I don't like the 3g at all, I'm kind of impartial with the 4g. I think it's all with the 2g. The 1g also had a fun wheel.
  13. thread starter macrumors G3

May 2, 2005

Ohh, I remember my friend's 1G iPod. Back in my windows days, IIRC.

I accidentally turned the volume all the way up because I couldn't use the wheel right. it was way too slick for my giant man-hands to deal with.

Man, those were the days..

OO! What about 4G in a 1G?
    That'd be so cool and retro....
  14. macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Darkplace Hospital
    hmmm. can i (if it hasnt already been said) be the first to say that the 3G's seem to be much thinner than the 4G's? i suppose you could use the 4G's backplate, basically just swapping the faceplates around.

still, im no techie. good luck with it! i too hate the clickwheel on bigger iPods. its fine for Mini. but i really miss the touch wheel :( and its pretty red buttons