4G iPod shown at Macworld SF 2004

Discussion in 'Community' started by jeff.macaddict, Oct 10, 2004.

1. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

I was watching the 20th anniversary 1984 commercial for the millionth time tonight when i noticed something about the iPod they had digitally added on to the girl that throws the hammer into big brother. It's a 4G iPod.

Anyone else notice this? You can see the broadcast here, they show the 1984 commercial 3min 48sec into the broadcast. To actually see that its a 4G iPod, you have to download a higher quality quicktime file of the commercial off of Limewire or other p2p.

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

You are mistaken, I went to MWSF 04 and brought home several of the posters showing the girl running with the iPod digitally added, in all of the posters it is clearly a 3G with the four buttons across the top.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yes, you are correct and no, you are not. Yes, because apple once again edited the video editting the 3g ipod into a 4g ipod. No, because it was a 3g ipod at MWSF '04. Here it is. Also, I am on jaguar on a Pmac G4 and apple updated my .Mac screen saver with the 4g ipod and new iMac G5. So apple constantly updating things.

http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/1984-2004_m480.mov

4. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

I think the real question is Who gives a damn!

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

6. jeff.macaddict thread starter macrumors regular

But I downloaded this quicktime file a few days after the expo, months and months before the 4G was introduced. It was a higher res file, so I could expand it to 2x and see that it had no buttons across the top, and had the darker click wheel.

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yes michealrjohnson, that does appear to be the 4th gen iPod, but if you will go back to that frame you captured and rewind half a second (15 frames) you see this:

[​IMG]

And in that image you will notice the four indented navigation buttons as sported by the third gen iPod. I think that the reason it looks darker in the screen caps is shadows because the touch wheel is indented as well.

Edit: Also notice that in both images, you see a gap between scroll wheel and screen, and the 4th gen iPod has the scroll wheel centered between screen and bottom of the iPod.

9. jeff.macaddict thread starter macrumors regular

Im not sure that even with the right lighting the indented 3G wheel would be that dark compared to the rest, the wheel of the iPod is just so much darker than the center button, it makes me think its a 4G, and by the way, whats holding it onto her shorts?

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

11. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Shake and Motion ... ;)

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Probably just shake.

13. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Motion is a cut down version of Shake, so if you have Shake, you don't need motion.

14. jeff.macaddict thread starter macrumors regular

another early 4G ipod sighting?

I found another possible prerelease sighting of the 4G iPod. In the iLife 04 into video, Ian Robinson, when talking about Garageband, takes off what looks like to me as a 4G iPod. Approx 3min 29 sec.

The wheel not only looks dark like the 4G, but it looks centered in the space below the screen, and it doesnt look like there are any buttons above it!

And what, if anyone has software I dont that will let them see, does the back of the ipod in the iMac g5 video say? at approx 33sec? I tried my best, but it doesnt look like a number, maybe im just seeing it wrong. I'd send attachments of stuff I talk about, but you'd have to get your own high quality version anyways to pick through.

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It was originally done when a 5GB hard drive cost thousands of dollars...:D

I remember seeing it as a 3G iPod (100% sure of this, BTW), and now it looks like Apple redid it for the 4G. Wouldn't be that hard, they already added the ENTIRE iPod + cord for earbuds +earbuds themselves.

Otherwise, we could cite this as an example of the iPod before anyone knew about it...18 years (ish) before anyone knew about it...