4GB memory modules in the Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pastrychef, Mar 7, 2007.

1. pastrychef macrumors 68040

pastrychef

Not that I could ever afford it, but I'm curious if 4GB memory modules will work properly in Mac Pros. If so, the mac pro's max memory amount is 64GB!

2. bored911 macrumors 6502

bored911

theorectically, yes, it could hold up to 64gb, but that would be useless. well, actually, you would never have to turn it off.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The MP is spec'ed for 2G modules. I would assume for a 4G to work there would need to be a firmware update.

4. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Hehe. Hardly. You'd be surprised how someone doing 3D graphics or special effects/compositing etc, could make use of 64gb of ram. Sure, it's an insane amount, but certainly useful in choice circumstances.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Or they may just not be advertising it since it would cost a lot, and not be useful with any current programs,or probably any future ones, before everything else becomes to outdated.

6. pastrychef thread starter macrumors 68040

pastrychef

There have been instances in the past where the actual maximum amount of RAM for a particular machine is actually higher than what Apple claimed...

Also, I believe the Xserves are advertised as having a max of 64GB.

7. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

er...

there are 8 slots in mac pro, no? that's why the current mac pro can take 8x2gb = 16gb... and if you use 4gb stick, you'd have 32, not 64 gb...

8. pastrychef thread starter macrumors 68040

pastrychef

Ooops. My mistake.

9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

A lot of Macs can have higher ram modules then Apple advertise them with. This is mainly because they weren't available yet when these macs came out and isn't really/officially tested. And as we have seen with the Airport, you can't change the specs if a product is already out and a new piece comes out that it can use (if anyone understands what I'm trying to say...). So probably it can handle the 4GB modules fine.