Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaunp

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Hi,

I'm looking to get a 4K monitor (27" +) primarily for photo editing in LR and PS. Have any of you gone down this route yet, if so any recommendations?

Colour accuracy and uniformity are key (which is why I'm posting here rather than in the hardware or buying guide forums - you guys appreciate where I"m coming from), and while I don't necessarily want to part with £4k for an Eizo 4K self-calibrating display, I don't want a £400 gaming monitor either.

Thanks in advance.

shaunp

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
What's your budget? NEC have recently released an EA275UHD. Around £900 in the UK.

Don't have a budget as such, anything up to £1500-sh would be fine, but don't want to spend the £3700 that the Eizo 4K costs.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Don't have a budget as such, anything up to £1500-sh would be fine, but don't want to spend the £3700 that the Eizo 4K costs.
I've used the EA244UHD (the baby brother of this one). Unless you shoot 4K I'm not overly sure I see the point. I assume you already have a calibrator? If not, don't forget to factor that into the cost.

shaunp

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
That's what I'm asking, is there a point to 4K for a photographer? I shoot on an 18MP Canon 7D and have invested a lot of money in decent glass, etc. What I want now is a better monitor for my workflow.

I know text on my rMBP is infinitely sharper than it is on the Dell U2711 (1440p) attached to my nMP. I'm wanting to replace the Dell monitor, mainly because of the anti-glare coating, and my train of thought is either get an excellent colour accurate monitor (Eizo CG277) that doesn't have the anti-glare coating issue, and self calibrates, but the resolution is going to be the same as the Dell. I have an external calibrator on the Dell BTW. My other thought as I'm going to be spending over £1000 is to look at 4K options, and that's my question. Have any you photographers recently bought a 4K monitor, if so what did you think of the colour accuracy, uniformly, backlight bleed, etc, etc.

I'm wanting opinions from anyone who has actually bought a 4K monitor for professional photo work.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
That's what I'm asking, is there a point to 4K for a photographer? I shoot on an 18MP Canon 7D and have invested a lot of money in decent glass, etc. What I want now is a better monitor for my workflow.

I know text on my rMBP is infinitely sharper than it is on the Dell U2711 (1440p) attached to my nMP. I'm wanting to replace the Dell monitor, mainly because of the anti-glare coating, and my train of thought is either get an excellent colour accurate monitor (Eizo CG277) that doesn't have the anti-glare coating issue, and self calibrates, but the resolution is going to be the same as the Dell. I have an external calibrator on the Dell BTW. My other thought as I'm going to be spending over £1000 is to look at 4K options, and that's my question. Have any you photographers recently bought a 4K monitor, if so what did you think of the colour accuracy, uniformly, backlight bleed, etc, etc.

I'm wanting opinions from anyone who has actually bought a 4K monitor for professional photo work.
Buy the CG277 IMO. If it's good enough for professional printers and retouches, then it's going to be all you need.
Your questions regarding colour accuracy, uniformity and backlight bleed will very model by model. Stick with NEC or Eizo, or if you don't have the budget Dell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.