Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecnezie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
Hi,
I've just purchased a 4TB G-Drive - Thunderbolt & USB 3.0, to use mainly as storage for caches, render and previews. I've connected it to a macbook pro with thunderbolt.
All working great, at first.
But, switching it on suddently it renamed itself as MyBook and all the data in it disappeared (just 10/20 gb of temp renders and previews, thankfully).
At start, mac app Time Machine popped up asked me if I want to use it as backup disk as if it was a new empty one. I'm 100% sure I refused, but it seems that it automatically did wipe it clean before asking.
I decided to format it clean from disk utility. It worked fine for a couple of days and then it did the same again. Auto renamed to MyBook and all data gone.
Obviously I can't trust it anymore, and I'm thinking of returning it.
It's a pity, because it works great, a part from this crazy thing.

Any ideas of what is happening? I'm pretty confident I didn't do anything unusual...

Many thanks!

Last edited:

plomomedia

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2018
Madrid
I hope someone can reply knowledgably to this thread, because i'm having the exact same problem too. WD 4tb external disk with Yosemite 10.10. No Time Machine prompt, just a sudden wipe and generic volume "MyBook" mounted, showing as empty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.