4th Gen iPod Freakout

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MaxRady, Mar 25, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Dec 23, 2007
    Hello everyone,

I am trying to take care of this problem for a buddy of mine. He has a 4th generation iPod, 20 gigs, and it is having some major problems. I was told that when he tries to plug it into his computer (windows laptop) it makes the computer screen turn blue. I tried to restore it, by flicking the hold switch a couple of times and holding MENU + play/pause and it says it doesnt have enough battery power and to plug it into a source. When i plug it into my MacBook, it freaks out and says that the computer doesnt recognize it, then the ipod withdrawals itself from the computer and a message pops up and says that a device was removed improperly. I have gotten the option of erasing and syncing a couple of times, but the same thing happens where once i hit erase, it will freakout and withdraw itself. ANY help would be awesome. Thanks!
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2008
  3. macrumors member

Nov 12, 2004
    I have fixed quite a few 4th gen iPods.

Hard drives die, logic boards also flake out. Then you have batteries that go bad, so that's 3 components.

Sorry there's no easy answer - best guess is hard drive or logic board.
  4. macrumors 65816

Aug 13, 2007
    sounds like the poor iPod's harddrive is shot, this is what happened to me with my old ipod...
    time for a new iPod?????