4th Gen iPod, Should I plunge?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jonney, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Jonney macrumors newbie

I am not an iPod owner yet and was just about to order a 4th Gen 40gb iPod but I keep reading reports of all these new iPods being duff and that they keep crashing or not starting up etc, I have yet to hear a praise, all I want to know is, is it safe to buy now or should I wait?

Regards

Jonney

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Let me put it this way:

I've wanted an iPod for eons. Well, not literally, but it seems that way. About a week and a half ago, I got a new 4G 40GB 'pod, and it was beautiful. Changed the way I listen to audio books more than anything - I like listening to them on my commute, but burning CDs was a pain in the butt. The iPod changed all of that. It was nirvana.

However, at the moment, there is a box sitting on my desk which arrived today. Its purpose? To return my iPod back to be fixed. Why? It has spontaneously rebooted three times in ten days whilst playing music or audio books. Sometimes, when in its dock, it decides that it cannot be disconnected, even though iTunes is done with it, and in fact even at times when iTunes isn't even on - it just, out of nowhere, decides that it's synching.

In maybe two or three weeks, I'll get mine back. No next-day service on these things.

And, in addition, there aren't any or at least not many cases out there for the 4Gs yet (but that'll change soon).

So, I'll leave it up to you, but, if it were me, I'd wait.

3. Jonney thread starter macrumors newbie

In all honesty, thats enough for me to wait I think, as much as I want one, I can't deal with having to send it back, it's hard enough waiting for it to arrive.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have no idea if my experience is even vaguely typical. Lots of people had problems with Rev A G5's, but I didn't. However, FWIW, Apple gave me zero problems with returning it for repair, so I think it might be a reasonably common occurrence. However, I'm sure a lot of people love their 4Gs and have no problems with them.

5. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

The 4G is awesome! I upgraded to a 40GB 4G and I love it. The size is great....the click wheel is awesome (less sensitive than the mini so it's very easy to scroll).....the screen is sharp.....and the battery life is unmatched by any other iPod. I have had zero problems with my 4G. There are always lemons so some people are going to have problems.....usually the people posting are the people having problems b/c they are trying to vent, or find someone with a similar problem so they can figure out how to solve it. My wife and I have had every generation of iPod and the 4G's may be the best (though I'm still kind of partial to my 20GB 2G but I'll get over it soon enough). In my opinion the 4G's are a lot better than the 3G's so unless you want to save money (Apples Special Deals section has 3G's for sale) buy a 4G or a Mini.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

BTW, I love the iPod. I just don't like the spontaneously-rebooting aspect of mine. Other than that - and, really, it's something I could live with but don't want to as it's brand new - I think it's absolutely wonderful. Fantastic battery life, excellent interface, etc., etc.

And, really, if you buy one now, you probably won't have any problems with it, and, if you do, you'd still end up with it earlier than if you wait for a few months for things to smooth out.

7. Burns macrumors member

Burns

Kicks ass. New iPod is great, i've had no trouble either.I've wanted one since the 1G but couldn't afford it. when i got the money it was the 3G's which were out. i waited a bit and i must say i am so glad i did. It NEVER leaves my side.

I think if you really want on, buy it. But if theres part of you thats apprehensive (and able to wait), then just wait a bit and see if they fix the bugs you've been hearing about. :)

8. Jonney thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Nspace macrumors regular

Mine has been working fine fore over a week right out of the box with no problems at all. It did not arrive with any scratches, it has not rebooted and its connected fine to both my pc and my apple.

I say go for it.

10. Jonney thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I took the jump and ordered it, it arrived today. Currently just adding my 4004 tracks to it. Will let you know if it's a gooden'

11. daxdagr8t macrumors member

I bought one last week and im anxiously waiting, should have opted out for expedited shipping.