4th gen or 5th gen for 10yr old

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ddublu, Oct 11, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

ddublu

My daughter has been saving for a 4th gen iPod Touch. I've always been one to by most current tech (and she knows it). Her birthday is in 9 days and I was thinking about adding the $40 or so dollars that she is short to get her the 5g. She has a really old iPod Touch that doesn't even support iOS 5 so both will be a significant upgrade. Thoughts?

2. macrumors demi-god

soco

It's really a cheap upgrade, just go for the current generation model.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

ddublu

Another $100 right + lightening converter. Don't mind the extra cost but that's how I thought it was priced.

4. macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

I would go with the 5th gen, bigger screen more storage, and I'm sure she will like to have the better quality camera if she is anything like my 12 year old sister.

Plus the colors are cool for a little girl, and those iPod straps are pretty neat.

5. macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Yes buy the 5g, in the long run it will more updates and will be better.

Also the camera is better and the screen is bigger so that is a good reason to buy it.

6. macrumors 68040

Get the 5th even just for the camera alone. The 4th has a camera that is totally, I mean totally useless for any photos that you do not intend on keeping. Screen size difference is negligible.

7. macrumors 6502a

dcorban

There is no contest here. I have a daughter turning seven next month and I ordered the new iPod. Why?

Better camera
    Better CPU
    Better screen
    Color choice

In my opinion, the screen along is worth the cost. Why buy a device that is immediately unable to display apps as the size they are, or soon will be, intended? The camera was also critical. I was considering getting her a standalone digital camera, but this new iPod is probably better overall for its ease of use.

8. macrumors newbie

a 10yr old shouldn't have pricey kit like iPod Touches, kids dont seem to understand that stuff "costs a lot"

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

ddublu

I'll be the one to make that decision. My daughter is learning about responsibility and technology - two things that prepare her greatly for the future.

10. macrumors 65816

Go for the new gen, watch the smile on her face, they grow up too fast...

11. Winnychan213, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

macrumors member

Go for the fourth generation, she isn't going to cherish it. 299 dollars is too much for a kid anyways. Hell, i say 199 is too much for her anyways, if I am you, i will buy her the 39 dollars Sansa clip+ for audio and a nano for video. Clip+ has been praised for being bang for the buck and still have great sound quality.

12. thread starter macrumors 65816

ddublu

The point of my question was to determine if there was a dramatic difference between the two devices not to ask financial opinions. I appreciate everyone's advice - I'm going for the 5g for her.

13. Guest

A bad decision imo

You've already taught her that she only needs to save towards part of an items cost as someone else will pay the rest!... You in this case

14. macrumors member

Even if she really want a 5th generation, I think there are better things to buy with 299 dollars. How about a Nexus 7 (16GB) for 258 dollars? You can add another 39 dollars for the Sansa clip+ and it would amount to be the same price as a 5th gen touch. Not only the Nexus has quad core, it has a 7 inch screen unlike the touch, the sound quality is terrible for Nexus, that is where the clip+ is going to shine. If the storage is still not enough for her, don't forget that she still got the old itouch, so she is not going to waste a perfectly good product.

The only thing that matters now is does she really need the camera or not?

15. macrumors 68030

If you haven't discussed it with her yet, make your announcement at the last minute. Major "cool dad" points are yours for the taking.

16. macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Good choice. For only 50 dollars more, she will get much more use out of it.

I had a 2nd gen that's lasted 4 years. The 4th gen is already 2 years old and will be totally out of date in two more.

----------

Dude, it's a birthday gift. Plus the OP has started teaching her early -- there is still plenty of time to engrain "paying for the whole thing" in her before she's fully grown up.

17. macrumors 68030

So dads are not allowed to buy their daughters birthday presents in your world?

18. Guest

In this particular case the daughter was learning the value of saving to buy a luxury item and purchasing it via her own means... Then daddy cut in and just paid for the rest himself... Not a great lesson at all

The father should have purchased a birthday gift that was unrelated to this.

19. thread starter macrumors 65816

ddublu

After seeing your post history it all makes sense now. I would appreciate it if you could just not reply anymore. You are of no help.

20. Guest

I am trying to help you... You just dont like what i am saying.

Best of luck with your decision.

21. thread starter macrumors 65816

ddublu

In this particular case my daughter has received birthday money from relatives she was fortunate enough to spend time with this past weekend that she wont see on her birthday. Part of our birthday present to her will be the extra $40-$50 that she will be short.

----------

Nice work up-voting yourself. You are right - I don't like what you are saying.

22. macrumors regular

ninaco

Not every 10 year old would really appreciate the 5G touch But, it sounds like your daughter would. She's already shown she can take care of the device. I think pitching in the rest of the money is a great idea. She'll be satisfied with the latest touch longer than she would be with a 4G with dated technology & an inferior camera.

23. LadyX, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

macrumors demi-goddess

LadyX

What is the matter with you? It's his daughter, I don't see why he can't pay the rest, there's no problem with that at all.

OP, I say go for the iPod Touch 5G, she'll love the colors and it's a huge improvement over the 4G iPod Touch :)

24. macrumors member

The only worries I got is how much better the sound quality is from the 4th gen to the 5th gen? Sometimes newer product for apple doesn't mean better, for example, the 5th generation ipod video uses wolfson audio, but Apple decided to drop it on the 6th generation. Not to mention the 5th generation is already outdated with only A5 chip and 512MB of ram, I fear that the even the most current generation of ipod touch is not going last that many more update cycles. Nexus 7 on the other hand has quad core cpu, 1GB of ram and has a 7 inch of screen, benchmark has shown that it is only barely slower than the iphone 5 and selling for only 258 (16GB version)

25. macrumors demi-goddess

LadyX

The 5G has a better display, an A5 processor which means it will be fast, RAM is double that of the 4G, the camera and the battery have been improved. In short, the 5G has a much better camera, display, and performance.