4th of july

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Siderits, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Siderits macrumors member

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

You too! I didn't see fireworks this year, because I was lazy. But the BBQ was worth it.

3. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

You're too late. It's the 5th of July here now. And I have to get up and ready for work in 6 hours :p

4. iShane macrumors 6502a

Its the 5th here too.

I got to see the fireworks and I ate great chicken.

5. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Still the 4th here. Just got inside, reeking of gunpowder and partially deaf. Here in Oregon fireworks that go up in the air are illegal. But they are legal in Washington (state). So now that the population of Oregon has returned from over the border, it sounds like a warzone outside.

I'll admit, I got some too, for the first time. They were funnnn!

6. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Huh? :confused: Legal in Washington State???

edit: nevermind, they're illegal in Seattle, but not the rest of the state.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They're illegal in Floriduh, unless you're a farmer. We sure have a lot of farmers here. :D

A couple of police admitted to the t.v. news that it's a non-priority to them.

8. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Obviously you've never been to Southern Washington (not that you'd want too...). All they seem to have there is fireworks stands and Burgervilles. Not that thats a bad thing, I just can't imagine living there...

9. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

haha...My relatives live in southern washington. :rolleyes: Its as bad as the majority of oregan!!! :p ;) :rolleyes: Portland is the only cool place.

10. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Happy 4th, just got back from a BBQ. Didn't do anything special, chilled with friends. No fireworks, maybe next year.

11. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Yah... my best friend lives their...I spent the night at her house last night. Cows and hicks everywhere.

Yes, the majority of Oregon is...well...hicktown. Or hippytown (Cough Eugene Cough) I love Portland though, its one of if not my favorite small American city.

12. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

it'll be the fourth here for another 15 minutes.

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I'm a member of the local pyrotechnics guild. So while Pennsylvania outlaws anything other than smoke bombs and sparklers, (Not that it stops people from selling buy and using them) We can, with a local permit, set off the real ones. 3" shells are surprising cheap.

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

So you were the one setting them off around here.... ;) :)

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

A buddy and myself had a good time hanging out, listening to music, and talking :). No fireworks.

e

16. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

No, I was parking cars for the 4th Fest in State College. I would have helped set it up but my personal life has been difficult/busy recently.

17. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

Well my week long ban finally came off 47 minutes ago, so I thought i'd celebrate by sharing my 4th of july experience.

Here on Orcas Island it's kind of special. Theres this little island out in the water where they shoot the fireworks from, and everyone watches from the town which has like 2 or 3 streets. It's really cute.

So I was hangin out with this girl that I met on myspace a few weeks earlier, and we were walking around town, and we agreed to meet her dad at the place where the band was playing, a few minutes before the show ended so that we could get out of there fast before it became impossible too.

So we decided to go out to the end of madrona point which is this spit of land which has many beaches on the end of it, and we sat on the rocks there huddled up to keep each other warm, while waiting for the fireworks to start. There was another group of teens somewhere near us on the rocks so we had no reason to believe that the show wouldn't take place.

Then my friend notices that all the cars are driving away. We can see an endless stream of them driving away from town, and she says "I wonder why all those cars are driving away".

So we sat there for another 10 minutes wondering about that, and then got up and asked someone what time it was. They said it was 10:09. It was supposed to start at 10:00.

So she got kind of worried cause her dad said we'd meet near the end of the show, and she hoped that he'd wait for us where he said he would inspite of the mishap. So we went quickly back into town, and by the time we got there the ENTIRE crowded park full of chairs and blankets and people, and the band and the lights, it was ALL GONE. We were like "Damn, they got that wrapped up fast". Her dad wasn't there.

So we walked around town a bit more looking for him. Then I bumped into my friend Adam and asked him if he has a phone we could use. He said yeah, just inside the doors of the restraunt that he runs. So we went in there, and she called her house, and everything was sorted out, and then her dad found us, and brought us to her house, and then my dad came and picked me up from there 10 minutes later.

Since both of us are not the kind of people that are into sitting in one place watching a show for half an hour, nor the kind of people who like big crowds, we both agreed that it was much funner than it would have been had the show taken place.

The show was cancled because the fire marshall said it was too windy, which it was. They'll be doing them tonight..... and i'll be with the same girl, probably in the same spot on the same rock, to watch them. I hope everything goes normal this time. Although, as i've said, it can be as fun or funner if it doesn't.

That's my 4th of july story. I hope you enjoyed it. :rolleyes:

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Oh, I see......

....Well, in that case I will let you off the hook MongoTheGeek. ;) :D

19. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Local pyrotechnics guild? That sounds interesting. Is this a Pennsylvania thing or are there guilds throughout the US? Are there prior qualifications to meet? Work experience?

20. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

All over the place. The way it works is you have local guilds where you learn about fireworks, safety etc. There are different levels based on experience, and training. I just started.

Take a look at PGI.org

21. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Definitely interesting. I've done my share of fireworks as a kid, and played with the real stuff during my stint in the National Guard. I might have to take a look at the Guild....

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

The national pyrotechnics guild convention is coming up in August. I've never been but I have heard that it is incredible and many of the people there are not entirely sane. :D

I would consider going this year but its the same week as WWDC.

23. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

...too many loud booms? :D

24. DMPDX macrumors 6502

That is the truth. SW washington is..well...different? (caugh hicks caugh)

At least spell it right. It is OREGON. But yes portland is definetly the best place, but obviously you havent traveled the state and seen the cities and sights that we have to offer.

edit: didnt relaize i was bringing this from the dead, sorry:eek: