4x DVD-R not working on ALbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by parrothead, Apr 19, 2004.

1. parrothead
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

parrothead

If anyone can help that would be great. I bought a 15" 1.25 Albook three weeks ago and I finally had some reason to burn a DVD last night. Only problem is that the computer would spit out the disc after about 15-20 seconds of trying to read it. The dis is a TDK DVD-R, on the lable it says 4x. I looked up info on this and everything I have seen says that 2x drives (like the one in my computer) should be able to use 4x discs. Has anyone else had this problem? Am I doomed to have to search around for the old 2x discs that are becoming hard to find? :confused:

2. tpjunkie
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

unfortunately, there's been a break in the format, so the 4x discs can only be burnt at 1x in a 2x drive.

3. parrothead
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I wouldnt mind if my discs would burn at ANY speed. The problem is that my computer wont take the 4x discs at all. I havent tried any 2x discs yet because I have been unable to find any to try!

4. crazzyeddie
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Are you sure its DVD-R media and not DVD+R? That sounds like the problem here. If the drive reads it for a few seconds, then spits it back out, that means the Firmware on the optical drive doesn't recognize any format from the media.

5. parrothead
    Expand Collapse

parrothead

I made sure that the discs are DVD-R not +R . I was thinking it could be the firmware, but my computer is only 3 weeks old and the Apple support site claims that all newer macs should be able to use 4x discs.

6. live4ever
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

No probs with 4x in mine, though I use mainly Pine and Sony DVD-Rs.

Probably just a bad disk. Does it do it with every single brand of DVD-R? What about CD-Rs? DVD-RWs etc.

7. parrothead
    Expand Collapse

parrothead

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. Unfortunately I am a complete dufus. I got home from work yesterday and I saw that much to my embarassment that the discs are DVD+R not DVD-R. So I guess the problem is solved. Wrong kind of discs. :confused: :rolleyes: