4x512 for £200 or 2x1gb for £300 ??????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by usingautumn, Jan 30, 2005.

1. usingautumn macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2005
    i really need to upgrade my ram in my g5 from the 512 stock. I am using it with logic pro 7 and it soon slows down. Now from crucial I can get a 4 512mb dimms from £200 or 2x1gb dimms for £300 both giving me 2gb thus 2.5gb with the stock ram too.

I guess the thing in question here is future upgradeability as if i buy the 4 512 then ill only have 2 slots left, and i'd have 4 if i went for the 2 1gb.

As a student I don't have much money and I'm just wondering if you think for a audio computer id be future safe going for the cheaper option.

2. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2004
    I seriously doubt you'll be dissapointed with 2.5GB RAM for a LONG time, so I'd say go with the cheaper 4x512 option. Considering you said this would add to your existing 512MB, I'm assuming you have 8 DIMM slots. What is your other 512 configured as? 2x256 or 4x128? Either way you could always add more to these slots later on, say 4x256 or 2x512 if you find you do need more mem.

EDIT: didn't see that you said the 4x512 would lead you with 2 DIMMs left. You said 4x512 is ?200, so I'm guessing 2x512 would be ?100? That would give you 3.5GB RAM for the same price as the 2x1GB. I can't imagine you would ever need more than that.
  3. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    You should consider importing from the US. Outpost.com exports here, and with the prices there even the 17.5% VAT you may be charged to import still leaves a sizeable saving.
  4. usingautumn thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2005
    thanks alot for your responses, yeah i have considered buying from the usa but it is hard to find good places also last time i bought some microphones from the usa then after they added the vat and import duty over here it worked out the same price as if i had of ordered from the uk plus alot more hassle.

any more recommendations for cheap reliable stores in the usa?

thanks alot,
  5. jmk macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2005
    Personally, I'd go the cheaper route. You only gain 1 more bank with the 2 1GB. I'd addume that by the time you need more memory, you'd be able to afford higher density dimms for the one empty bank, or that you could toss some existing memory and you'll still be cheaper off than if you got the 1GB dimms now (this assume you're at least a year off of getting more RAM).

As far as pricing, I'd check memoryx also. They generally have good pricing and they ship internationally.
  6. usingautumn thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2005
    hey brap, just noticed you live in canterbury, i'm from thanet, small world