5,000 women a year killed for bringing dishonor.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogbone, Jul 16, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

This is certainly a very odd world in which we live.

link

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

'You're not my mother any more,' shouted Samaira. Then her family killed her '

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,1821073,00.html

There's also this recent case here in the UK. I must admit that my feelings about respecting diversity and other cultures' traditions are sorely tested by such abhorrent practices.

Besides, I can't understand how killing a family member is supposed to confer 'honour'. Genuinely puzzled... :confused:

3. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

That is certainly a nasty case. But what I find appalling is the quantity of this that is going on. I thought it was a few hundred. But 5 fracking thousand a year. This is very depressing.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Because by ritually killing somone who has 'erred', you wipe the slate clean and the dishonour they brought to the family is wiped out too.

And in some minds, perhaps having the strength to kill a family member gains you some additional credit on the slate since I'm sure it's recognised that it must be hard to do. You know the 'such a devout family that they'd rather sacrifice their daughter than live in shame' - what an example to us all?

It makes me shudder. Like BV, I'm all for upholding cultural traditions and lifestyles but certainly not to this extent.

5. Queso macrumors G4

There was a case in Pakistan a few years ago where a man was sentenced to life imprisonment for killing his younger sister. Apparently she had run off with a man from the next village, rather than marrying the man her father had promised her to, so on the orders of the father the brother hunted her down and stabbed her to death. In court he showed absolutely no remorse for the murder, saying he had restored his sister's honour, then was found guilty and sentenced.

But a couple of weeks later the father gave the local magistrate a cow and the son got released on a full pardon. So there you go girls, you are officially worth as much as a cow. Gives you a nice warm feeling about the human race doesn't it? :confused: :(

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I wouldnt blame the human race, I would blame the nuts that practice a warped religion. The article doesnt seem to want to mention the F.Upd religion these nuts use.Extreme Islam is a mess and so are the cultures that use it as a base for everything.

7. Queso macrumors G4

It's not the religion, it's a cultural thing. It says clearly in the Qu'ran that women are equal to men

Yet in the Arabic culture at the time of Mohammed women were treated as mere extensions of the male, pretty much as it was in Europe at the time. A lot of the other "bad stuff" associated with Islam comes from this cultural extension to the religion, rather than the religion itself. It's known as the Hadith, and it should be treated as herecy, but for some reason most muslims live by it.

Brainwashing. Pretty much like every other religion then ;)

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Sadly, I'm sure the number is even higher than that

This has nothing to do with culture. They hide behind their culture to justify such things, but as has been pointed out this isn't even part of that belief system. Any more than drowning witches as Christians used to do, or beating gays like they still do. It should be seen as abhorrent because it is. No matter what the supposed justification.

You can tolerate their beliefs all you want if you want to be tolerant, but you don't have to like their actions. ;)

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I didn't want to start another thread about the following story and thought it might as well go here... bit off-topic but words cannot express my revulsion and contempt.

I don't believe in hell, but if there was one I'd love to see some people rot there...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/5217424.stm

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, that's pretty disturbing. Just another in a long line of examples of how far women's issues still have to go, and another reason not to let religious nutters in charge of government functions.

11. Queso macrumors G4

That's what it's like in most of the Middle East and Africa sadly. We are so insulated from this crap in the West that it makes news, but it's just background noise in some places.

Bloody humans :(