5.1 Audio for games? (360/Mac)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    Does anyone have a 5.1 setup on there Mac and/or Xbox 360?

I had a 5.1 speaker set on my old PC, and it used 3 minijack connectors, 1 for Front L/R, Rear L/R, Center/Sub. I don't have inputs like that on my new Intel iMac not anything like that for Xbox 360.

So is there some adaptor I need or am I going to be forced to by a receiver/amp and HT 5.1 setup? How does the iMac output 5.1? Surely the 360 can do it, although only White/Red speaker outs?

I was thinking perhaps I just needed speakers with an optical in?

I'm pretty clueless on this subject beyond the setup I had on my old PC...
  2. Piarco macrumors 68030

Jun 24, 2004
    Both have optical out IIRC... the 360 definitely does - its in the connector that goes straight in at the back of the 360, so not entirely obvious to most its there. I'll have to check my iMac to be sure....
  3. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    From what I can tell the iMac has digital optical built into the headhone jack. It will require this adapter and then a standard toslink cable.

Edit: I just realized the monoprice also sells the mini-toslink to toslink cable.

I'd recommend using monoprice for buying cables. Great prices and great quality from my experience. Leave the overpriced monster cable alone.(And no, I'm not a monoprice shill)

The 360 just requires the toslink cable, no adapter.

Also, I'm not sure about computer speakers and toslink inputs. I know most HT receivers have them, but I'm clueless as to comp speaker setups.

Edit 2: The cable I linked above is 12 feet long. There are other lengths and I'd suggest you get the correct one for your situation. You can render a toslink cable useless by pinching or crushing it and that would be more likely if you've got lots of excess cable laying around. I wouldn't describe them as fragile though, just something to be aware of.
  4. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I was amazed at the sound difference when I switched from the right and white cables to the optical cable from my 360. I have a 5.1 surround sound hooked up to it and games and movies are great now. Playing games like CoD2, I can hear the explosions and voices all around me. It gives a quick way to figure out where the action is.