5.1 Audio from a MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by poppe, Aug 8, 2006.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hello,
    I would like some help on how to get a MBP to go to my stereo system that is 5.1 and acctually be 5.1. I saw things $100 device to buy that did what I'm asking, but seriously $100 for 5.1... I asked a Apple store clerk and he explained that I need an audio out cord that goes a little deeper into the MBP than the regular audio out cords.

Could someone help me with some advice?

My stereo has red/white/yellow in and audio in slots. Thanks

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

3. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

Well, if you had a optical in option on your stereo, that would be the best way. If not , get a minijack to standard RCA cable, and that should work.
    Personally, I use a M-Audio Firewire breakout box, but it's a bit overkill.
    With the minijack plug, you might only get 2.0 stereo, but your stereo might resample it to 5.1.

4. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Gonna go look it if has optical in. Pretty sure. what is M-Audio firewire break out box?

See I need true 5.1 because I'm a film student, and I'd like to specifically set which sound goes where.

5. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Sorry for double post:

Anyways, Crap... all I have is Auxillary... Would that even work? I'm thinking no... This thing is about 7 years old now... I just dont want to go buy a 5.1 system when I have so much to buy for my dorm...

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Stereo signals can't be resampled to reconstitute a 5.1 output.
    The 5.1 output from the MBP is optical only. If your '5.1 system' hasn't got an optical DTS in, then you're stuffed. Time to buy either a receiver with a 5.1 capable optical digital input or a 5.1 speaker setup (this is a decent cheap system).

7. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh damn...

that is real nice. I'll have to keep it in mind, but still pricey I suppose. Or I could wait and not get a Extra Monitor....

8. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

In my pseudo studio, this is what I use.
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire410-main.html

It gives me firewire output to 8 channel sound. Currently, I only have 2 speakers, but someday I plan on adding the other 3.1