1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

5.1 channels on MacPro

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Whiteapple, Sep 7, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

Whiteapple

Hello all,

I am now ready to buy a MacPro, for digital photography purposes.
    But I would also like to be able to have great quality sound, (it doesnt need to be real professional though, but I like good sound)

My currentsetup:

Pc with Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro

Mini-Jack to XLR:
    2 x Yamaha MSP5 Active Studio Monitors (Front)
    1 x Alto M4A Active Studio Monitor (Center)
    1 x Yamaha SW10 Active Subwoofer

Mini-jack to coaxial analog (L+R)
    2 x Mission mid-size Hi-Fi speakers connected to Marrantz stereo tuner. (rear)

There, now I'm getting rid of this PC, i'm still keeping the speakers of course.

I was thinking of some case in which you enter through optical in (5.1) and which distributes your signal to your 6 speakers (preferably XLR or Jack)

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to experience a convicing DTS and DD 5.1 (EX maybe) sound on your mac (in this case MacPro) ? Thank you for any information, it willl be fully appreciated :)

2. macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Look for an interface from m-audio, or other products like that. The macs do all have a toslink (5.1) out, but that has to go to a receiver, or similar, which then goes to the 5.1 speakers. It is just a single digital line.
    Your best bet is to probably get an external I/O box from m-audio. They have hookups to regular powered speakers, like the outs of your audigy 2.