5.1 computer speakers and a macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hobodale, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Hobodale macrumors member

Hobodale

I have a logitech 5.1 computer speaker system and I just purchased a new macbook. Is there a way I can connect my macbook to my speaker system and get 5.1 surround sound out of it? The speaker system has the three jacks(green, orange and black) but no optical in, which is how the macbook would connect I am assuming. Is there an adaptor or another way to do this?

2. dylan macrumors 6502

You would need a digital to analog convertor to take the optical and convert it to an analog signal.

Or you could get something like this

3. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

You need an external Dolby Digital/DTS decoder that will take the digital signal from the optical output and convert it to analog 5.1 channel output (allowing you to plug in the various plugs on the Logitech). My old home theater system used one; newer ones (i.e. less than 8-9 years old) have direct optical or coaxial input. The computer speaker 5.1's typically depend on the soundcard for decoding.

Here's one from Creative (I believe it costs around $150):
    http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=136&product=9468

Some systems such as Logitech's Z-5500 5.1 speakers do have a built-in decoder with optical input.