5.1 or 7.1 soundcard for MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FongMan, May 16, 2006.

1. FongMan macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2006
  2. c-Row macrumors 65816

Jan 10, 2006
    I am looking for a good sound card solution as well. I got a pretty good 5.1 speaker setup at home but can't really use it with the PowerBook (and my designated MBP), so a good suggestion would be welcome.
  3. FongMan thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2006
    Nothing at all? Wow thought a thread like this would be quite helpful to alot of users :eek:
  4. iris_failsafe macrumors 6502

May 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Doesn't the MBP comes with a digital sound output. If this is so the only thing you need is an adapter to a coaxial 75? cable or to a tosslink optical cable in order to connect it to a reciever... I would think it will only output 5.1.
  5. Poeben macrumors 6502

Jul 29, 2004
    That has to be one of the worst product descriptions I have ever seen. My favorite is the Frequency response; 3kHz/7kHz, what does that even mean?!? I would recommend looking into other solutions like those already mentioned.
  6. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    Exactly. What are you people talking about? Just connect your amplifier/receiver or your active speakers via an optical/mini-optical cable or coaxial/mini-optical and all will work. That's how I use it at home and it works perfectly.
  7. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    3kHz/7KHz is, to be honest, truly sh*t. The human aubible range is 20Hz - 20KHz, so this is a very small selection and the full range of a music track will not be heard properly.
  8. FongMan thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2006
    Oh ok, thanks alot, dunno anything about the optical cables but i'll check it out. :)
  9. matticus008 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Right, except that it'll output whatever it's originally encoded as. Your receiver will take a stereo MP3 and fake the surround modes. It'll take AC3 from a DVD and run that as Dolby 5.1 (or 7.1 if so encoded and your receiver supports it).

By the time you buy a 5.1 sound card and 5.1 PC speakers, you've wasted money. A standard home theater system is way more useful, future-proof, and cost-effective. Of course, if the goal is to use headphones with separate left and right channel inputs, what you need is an inverse Y-adapter from Radio Shack or an audio store.