5.1 Sound on a Powerbook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Nov 30, 2004.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

Any possible way of getting 5.1 sound on a powerbook, like through a USB adapter or something?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I can't use a 5.1 surround system, as I have no place to put the rear speakers. I've gotten 2.1 sound to work on a PowerBook by plugging external speakers into the headphones port; I'd assume you could do the same thing with a 5.1 speaker system.

3. pncc macrumors regular

The hardware exists. Try Googling "USB 5.1 sound"

the Zalman and Trust units come up.

Trick is whether or not it will work under OS X as there are no OS X drivers available. 5.1 sound is built into OS X panther for the G5 that have it.

try it and let us know.

4. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

well, I already have 2 external speakers plugged in, and theres no real way to get "true" 5.1 out of stereo headphone jacks.

Thanks for the info i'll do a google search, but if anyone else has an info, please let me know.
    ...I hope they arn't too expensive...

5. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

that's what the people at the apple store told me to get for mine because i wan to hook up a pair of logitech's, but discovered it was huge for my room.... so i just ended up with altec lansing speakers FX 6021. They match the pb nice and sound great, only down side is that there tall.

7. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

creative also makes a sorround sound pcmcia card if you have a 15 or 17 inch model.

8. iceTrX macrumors regular

I have an M-Audio Transit (smaller, 5.1, cheaper version of the Sonica Theater) for my powerbook, its excellent. I can select the Transit as digital-out passthrough with the Apple DVD player (in panther) and have true 5.1 Dolby and DTS surround sound going to my surround sound receiver via TOSlink optical audio.