5.1 Sound System

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JzzTrump22, Jul 20, 2004.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I'm lookikng for a cheap system thats good for a dorm room. I stumbled upon this.... http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=36-121-104&depa=0

It seems pretty decent. I checked it out on amazon just to make sure all those reviews weren't biased. They weren't. This system gets good scores on every website that i found them. These should be able just to plug right into my PB right? or do i have to buy a sound card?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My brother has them and likes them, but you can't get 5.1 with just the single stereo-out on the PB. The speaker amp has, I think, input jacks for the channels, and assumes you're connecting from a sound card.

3. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Can you send me links to everything i would need and how much do you think the entire setup would cost?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

While others would be better qualified to give you the best/cheapest solution, one which you might consider is getting the Sonica Theater from M-Audio (this link might work directly to get to the Sonica Theater product page, but I'm not sure that it doesn't contain session-specific info that would break for you; edit: I think this link will work fine).

The Sonica Theater has gotten good reviews elsewhere - even in these forums, I think - and would give you the hookups you'd need for any of the speaker systems you're looking into. Because it includes a digital coax audio-out, you could move up to speaker systems that accept this and which would provide you with "true" surround sound without requiring lots of cables. However, it'd work with the Logitech Z-640 nicely (which costs the same at Amazon, BTW).

Edit: this whole setup would run you $120 + $55 = $175.

5. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was afraid it cost that much. If i plan on using the system just for music, no surround. I can get a 3-in-1 splitter from radio shak for a few dollars and have a pretty decent sound system. Am i correct in saying this?

6. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

The Powerbook only provides stereo sound as far as I know so splitting it to more than two speakers won't really give you surround sound. If stereo is good enough for you, just pick up a pair of external powered speakers or use headphones. If you want surround sound you will probably have to go with an external audio device of some kind (in addition to a surround sound speaker set) such as the one jsw mentioned.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That would work, but then you're spending extra for a multi-speaker system you can't use. How about a simpler system, like this one?

8. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I agree... 5 speakers and a sub is RIDICULOUS for a dorm room, and more so for just 2-channel stereo music. get two solid speakers and a sub, and you will get better sound for the same price.

Lee Tom

9. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

It's not like the speakers are big, there small. Right now i have 2 speakers and a sub for my computer which works fine. But i wanted to combine the ones i already have plus these. I wanted to get the 5.1 because it has more power. I wasn't really looking to do a surround sound system, i was just looking for speakers to blast music with. Thats why i don't want to spend a ton of money on a sound card and special wires and a whole bunch of other stuff. I just want to know straight up if these will be able to connect to my powerbook using a simple connector/splitter. I'm not going to be in a tiny dorm room. I will be in a suite with 6 people so the speakers will be spread out.

10. jcook793 macrumors regular

Hey, I have that same speaker rig. They are pretty loud and I think you can "fake" the surround sound with just stereo inputs.

I had these on my old PC and when I bought my G5 I realized that I had no way of decoding the 5.1 from the optical. So I found a used Creative Labs Extigy which can work as a standalone decoder. Keep that in mind if you were going to try hooking it up to a DVD player or something.

11. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

12. Nawlins macrumors member

Speaker question...

I'm interested in this (Logitech's page: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2,CONTENTID=5048 , Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...056047-1876768?v=glance&s=videogames&n=507846 ) set of nice Logitech speakers. MSRP is $400 but they sell on Amazon for $250.

My comp is described in my signature - I'm wondering if I can hook up that Logitech set (the Z 680's) without an external sound card. A friend of mine at school has that set hooked up to his PC and DVD player without a sound card.

I know that Logitech set has been formatted to work with the G5's, I just hope it can work with my Powerbook. 500 watts of sweet surround sound is very tempting....

13. m.r.m. macrumors regular

another 5.1 question. what about running a 5.1 speaker system with airport extreme? does one get 5.1 sound when sending music from a pb to airport extreme (taht has a digital out) and to the 5.1 speakers?

14. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

That would be aswome if you could hook up a 5.1 to APE. I would like to know that answer to that too.

I think i'll get the system and figure it out from there. If it doesn't work out i could always send them back.

15. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I'm not sure why an external sound device isn't more popular. You can get a digital sound processor and a variety of output possibilites in addition to some sound amplification. People pay hundreds of dollars for an amp and extra speakers in their car while in their house they get tons of extra speakers but balk at an inexpensive device to improve sound quality. If you want clear sound at high volume then an amp and sound processor is your ticket. More speakers will just help you distribute mediocre sound at low volume or awful sound at high volume. I'm not trying to get on anyone's case or anything, I'm just genuinely puzzled by such decisions. :confused:

16. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i have a 12" with the z680's. its hooked up via the 1/8" jack to the logitech's front input, then upmixed (itunes stereo) to surround sound by the logitech processor. if you want true surround, i.e dolby digital on dvd's etc., you will need a digital (optical or coax) output along t he lines of m-audio's transit which supports audio passthrough. in short, it works beautifully best multimedia system i have ever owned, can't recommend it enough. screw klipsch, seriously.