5.1 sound

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Wardofsky, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

OK, here's the deal.

Let's say I have a set of Logitech Z-680 5.1 speakers, they have optical and coaxial digital input, I have an old, run of the mill, Sage 450Mhz iMac, I say hmmm, the iMac does not have a coaxial or an optical output.

So I search around and find the Edirol UA-1D USB Digital Audio Capture (http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua1d.html), this little beauty has digital optical and coaxial out as well as in.

So having the Edirol gadget and the Logitech Z-680s I hook it up to my iMac, BUT having only the OS X 10.2.2 DVD player.

Now tell me, will this export 5.1 sound or digital DTS stuff or have I wasted my time.

Any answers, suggestions, hate mail is welcome.

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Nope, the Apple DVD Player doesn't do 5.1 sound.. I remember the Sonica 5.1 converter came with it's own DVD Player... did your converter come with anything? If not... maybe you're gonna have to ask someone who has a Sonica to give you the app or something...

irmongoose

3. dricci macrumors 6502a

4. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

actually isnt m-audio coming out with a 7.1 soundcard that has dolby digital decoding built in. I think i saw it on some other post.

tyler

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Yeah, it's called the Sonica Theater. (Little more info here)

irmongoose

6. Wardofsky thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks

Thanks to all of the above, I think I'll look into the sonic thingy.

7. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Sorry to be a killjoy -

But wouldn't it be easier just to buy a dedicated DVD player with built-in Dolby Digital 5.1 for around £100?

It'll also save wear-and-tear on your precious iMac...

:)

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

M-Audio Sonica does come with a Mac OS X version of an open source DVD player that does Dolby Digital 5.1 and the device has an optical S/PDIF output in addition to the miniplug analog output. It is awesome and a performance boost as the onboard audio is extremely slow in comparison.

kiwi: I don't know about your television, but mine makes me want to play all my DVDs on my Mac now.