5.1 SUrround Sound(Hd Trailers from Apple.com)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by G5Unit, Apr 4, 2006.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I have a late 2004 PM and I have it hooked up to a 5.1 capable reciever. I am able to watch DVD's in Dolby Surround, yet I can't get 5.1 surround to work with the trailers. I am working with the Poseidon Trailer. It says only 2 channel input on my reciever (YAMAHA HTR-5835)

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Apple's Trailers are only 2 channel. It is pretty rare to find 5.1 content on computers. You can pretty much only get it from some games and DVDs.

3. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I am playing the Spt. 11 trailer and it says it's AAC 5.1. Yet I can't get my optical cable to output it! As my reciever doesn't change.

4. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

You are not alone, in fact I don't believe anyone has been able to get 5.1 out of a receiver while playing these so called "AAC 5.1" trailers.

Thread over at apple

I guess its just one of those things Apple needs to work on!

5. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

AAC 5.1 isn't Dolby 5.1, so it would only come across as stereo, and your receiver wouldn't switch to DTS or Dolby. I imagine that's the problem you're having with the trailers.

If by "work on" you mean "abandon," then absolutely ;). I don't see the point in reinventing the wheel, especially if your wheel isn't round and doesn't help anything move. They should just use standard 5.1 encoding.