5.5G iPod Acting Up

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Xander562, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

OK so i bought this iPod yesterday. it's a 30GB. Last night i put all my music/videos/pictures on it and it worked fine. Now it's acting up whenever I connect it to iTunes and try to update it, it disconnects itself, OSX says i've unsafely removed my iPod, and my ipod resets itself, i see the metallic logo on the black background, the iPod starts up, iTunes detects it and starts transferring music, then at a random time, it disconnects itself again! :mad: the whole process repeats itself. Remembering Apple's 5 Rs I tried them. I am now on Restore :(. I thought that this might solve the problem. The same thing is happening, at random times during the update, my ipod disconnects from my mac, resets, and starts back up again. The whole thing repeats again. Over, and over, and over again. Is anyone else having these problems? any recommendations on what i should do?

Thanks in advance.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, maybe try trashing com.apple.iPod.plist from your Preferences folder and if that doesn't help, then open up Disk Utility and verify the iPod's disk. It's new and it shouldn't be acting like this, but a big jolt during hard drive access might have messed the file system somewhat.

While we're at it, is your USB port working normally with other devices? :)

3. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

well, today it's working fine (so far) i managed to get my entire library on it last night. and there are no problems with anything otherwise (the ipod works fine away from the computer) i'll keep you posted if anything else happens.

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

You could check if your iPod is Mac formated, because i think all iPods are PC formated when they are made. I don't know if that will make any differance, but i have heard that PC formated iPods take longer to eject than Mac formated ones if you are using a Mac. But, actually your iPod should, be Mac formated if you restored it.
    Oh well:confused:

5. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

They do take longer to eject but it is forcibly ejecting so this does not make a difference. It is a different point. If it carries on, send it back. Apple will almost cdertainly give you a new one.

6. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

Yeah, its doing it again today. *sigh*

i really would like to not have to send it in, i havent had an ipod in such a long time (around a year or more) that i'd like to enjoy it some more. :(

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did you try verifying (and possibly repairing) its disk in the end? :)

8. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

just tried it, it said it passed verification and no repairs were needed.

Although a new problem came up today, the Album Art did not match the correct song that was playing, :confused: dont know what that's about.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, did you end up trying the PLIST removal? If it didn't work the first time, then maybe try it after you've restored the iPod's firmware. :)

10. islandman macrumors 6502

Since it's new, if I were you I'd send it back. You don't know what other problems you'll encounter down the road.