5.5G iPod Charging w/out using iTunes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by pcguru83, Oct 6, 2006.

1. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

New iPod owner here and I'm having an issue that's driving me nuts. I initially purchased a new 2G Nano, but wasn't very happy with the loose click wheel issues, so I returned it and decided to just go ahead and go for the 30GB video iPod. I am SOOO glad I did, this thing is awesome.

For all intents and purposes, this is my first iPod. My one-day experience with the 2G Nano doesn't really count. Here's my question:

I'd like to be able to sit at my desk, with the iPod in the dock, and have a video playing while I working. The whole reason I bought the dock was so that I wouldn't have to worry about battery life while at work. Seems pretty straightforward, but here's the problem.

My work computer only has iTunes 6 installed. Getting iTunes 7 installed is not an option at the moment. Obviously, the new 5.5G iPods won't work with iTunes 6 (at least that I've found), so my iPod only shows up as an additional disk in My Computer. The battery is getting power at this point, but the iPod is not usable in this state because it says, "Do not disconnect." flashing on the screen. When you do "Safely Remove Hardware" from within Windows, it seems to stop giving power to the iPod because the battery begins to run down.

Hopefully this clear. Is there a way to do what I'm trying to do? Thanks guy!

2. eb6 macrumors regular

two solutions

1-Get a mac, they charge even after you eject them.

2-Wall charger.

Thats all i know:D

3. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Hmmm, I had no idea a wall charger existed. Is this something Apple makes, or is it a third party solution? Until I can talk our IT guy into putting iTunes 7 on my PC at work ;), sounds like that would be the best bet.

EDIT: Nevermind, I went and looked at the Apple Store and found this:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/2.RSLID?mco=F4FE5CCE&nplm=MA592LL%2FA

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Apple makes a wall-charger. You can either purchase it online or buy it from most iPod retailers.

It's a good bet if you can't get iTunes 7 on your work PCs.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

you can also get cheaper USB adapters which don't have the apple name on it but should work to charge your iPod.

6. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Yeah, I've run into these on Ebay. I was seriously considering it (especially at about only $7-$10) but was questioning the quality of these units. Do you have firsthand experience with one? Is there anyone that sells these outside of Ebay (like at a retail store)?

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No I still have a firewire one that came with my 3g iPod.