5,8GHz cordless phone systems

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by zelmo, Aug 20, 2005.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Our 900MHz cordless phone system is slowing but surely dying. Two of the handsets won't work any more, only the base unit and one other handset still function. I plan to replace the system this weekend and, based on stories of the 2.4GHz systems interfering with 802.11 b/g networks, I guess that means looking at the 5.8Ghz systems.
    If you have one of these systems, I'd love to get your thoughts. I'm going to go to BB later to check out this one. Also, any idea what freq the new 802.11n wireless standard will broadcast on? Hate to buy a system that will interfere with the next wireless standard.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I have these, and they suck. The range is terrible...the secondary handset gets full of static about 30 feet and two walls away from the main base.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

This Panasonic model with digital answering machine works quite well for me. Clarity is great.

I've had a recent AT&T and basically had to throw it away even though the earliest one was quite good, until a thunderstorm here. VTech was okay but people have told me stories about various models being lousy.

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i just got some AT and T one. its good, color screen, you can select differnt ring tones and backgrounds.... speaker phone on the handset...
    I got it from best buy

5. canadosurfer macrumors newbie

Great Buy

The range on any 5.8 Ghz phone is amazing. And if you get a good brand the audio quality is often excellent !

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I've been using the trial-and-error method of choosing a new phone -- my goal is to find a dual-handset model under $100. I don't care about all the whiz-bang features, I just want two handsets, no interference with airport, and good sound. I can tell you the ones I've rejected so far:

Uniden DXI-986 -- good sound but occasional, annoying bursts of static

Northwestern bell 5.8 ghz with dual handsets -- terrible sound, especially when the other person just starts speaking -- often their first word or two is completely cut off

I'm currently trying an Olympia 5.8 ghz with dual handsets. This has better sound than the Northwestern model, but sometimes there's some annoying feedback. I'm planning a long phone call this afternoon, so that will probably be the deciding factor on whether this one goes back to Staples.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I have 3 of these:

http://www.uniden.com/store/itemdetail.cfm?item=B-TRU5865-2

Well.. 1 with the answering machine, 1 satellite phone (no phone cord needed!), and 1 regular wall plug in.

The only problem I have is sometimes the satellite one won't connect, but otherwise, I really like the phone.

8. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Well, we ended up getting one of these and three satellite units. The sound is incredibly clear, they have all the features you could ever need (and more), the price was okay for this type of system, and no interference with my wireless network or child monitor.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I recently bought this very same phone and so far, its been good for us...Also, my last phone was a Panasonic 2.4Ghz phone and never did I experience network interference.

A little late, but may provide value to anyone that searches.

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, here's the update. I tried the Olympia for about 5 minutes, and couldn't stand it. I'm now on my fourth phone, a Uniden Power Max 5.8 with dual handsets, and so far, so good. Currently, my wife's on an extended conversation with her grandmother, and the sound quality is quite good.

There was a considerable price increase from the previous models, though. This one was about $160, compared to $60-70 for the other models I tried (and rejected)!

You do get some useful extras when you move up to this price point. For example, each handset can also function as a speaker phone. I personally can't stand talking on speakerphones, but it does mean that I don't have to cradle the ****ing thing in my neck when I'm on hold somewhere.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The speaker phone on those models isn't bad. It's quite useful if you have to consistantly call something automated. Headsets work quite well with them too, though the little rubber flap can be hard to open up after it's a little worn down. After a year now, I think I'll need to replace the batteries in mine (1 of the 3 handsets).

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I missed out on another model on clearance at one Office Depot. It was similar but had three voice mailboxes and could be expanded and it was a few dollars cheaper but I waited a week too long.

I've had really good luck with this one so far and having the DSS or FHSS as they call it is always a good thing.

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I've got something like that, purchased at Wal-Mart (I know, I know) for $50. Works great. I don't know the model number, but it's a GE model, silver and black in color.

15. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Vtech i5871

Has anyone used one of the Vtech i5871.

I love how they look but was wondering if anyone has tried them out or seen any reviews.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I wouldn't try their products again.

17. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

My teenage daughter went through 2 Vtech wireless phones in just a couple of years' time. I would never buy that brand again.