5-Day Long Headache

Discussion in 'Community' started by applekid, Mar 20, 2005.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I probably should go see a doctor, but I'll ask the MR community first:

I've had this headache for 5 days straight now. It never goes away. My head only hurts when I shake my head or tilt it back quickly. It's on the back part of my cranium that sticks out. It hasn't been painful enough to keep me away from doing my work when I'm moving my head, and since it doesn't hurt when I'm sitting, it doesn't really matter.

I thought maybe I hit my head on something, but that's not the case. I thought maybe something is wrong with my pillow, but it seems soft and fluffy to me. And I feel no pain when I'm lying down.

Now, I have been deprived of sleep this whole week, pretty much. I've been sleeping at midnight or 1 AM till 6 AM during the weekday. Last night I got about 10 hours of sleep and Friday night I got about 8 hours, and I've taken a few naps. So, I'm thinking maybe it's not sleep deprivation.

I've taken some Tylenol on a few of those days, but that doesn't make anything better.

So, what could it be?
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Anbody here with any medical experience will tell you to see a doctor as soon as practically possible.

Edit: May also be worth getting your eyes checked as well. Eyestrain can lead to headaches -- you may need lenses.
  3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    don't answer anything here till you get BACK from the Doctor!

Good luck.
  4. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Ack! I'll goto the doctor! Sheesh! :eek: lol

Well, I would make an appointment, but it is Sunday, so the office isn't open. I was hoping to find some good advice while I wait... Well, there is that Minute Clinic at Target, but anyhow...

It might be my glasses actually. Some really faraway objects are a bit hard to see now. But, I've had worse and no headaches. Thanks, for the suggestion, Blue Velvet. To the optometrist...
  5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Really, it could be anything, from bad glasses to an impending stroke. Like the guys say, get to the doctor. (And don't take any of that crap about, "The first opening we have is in May.")
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Might be worthwhile, until you get to the doctor, making sure that you're drinking enough water. Even slight dehydration can lead to headaches.
  7. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Brain tumor or mild stroke. Pick your poison.

Have you recently withdrawn from caffeine or nicotine? Headaches can be caused by a sudden withdrawal from addictive drugs. Or it might be high blood pressure, so perhaps reduce the amount of sugary and fatty foods and get some light exercise each morning such as a 20-min brisk walk, and plenty of water and deep breaths.
  8. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    I have suffered from bad headaches and migraines since I was 15 and I have never had one last longer than 3 days. And even then, that was only once.

As the others have suggested, you do need to see a doctor ASAP.

As for why it feels worse when you shake or tilt your head. Shaking your head will increase the blood circulation to it, thereby compounding the pain. Tilting your head might be putting pressure on a pinched nerve, swollen or tight muscle etc.

Get it seen to ASAP and let us know how it goes. Good luck.
  9. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    Go to your doctor or the ER. If you have a headache for 5 days there is something wrong. Have an MRI done. Usually head aches last 15min to 3hrs depending on which type it is and the pain is on the top or sides of your head. You could have a bad tension head ache which can last up to 3 days. The thing is that you have pain in the back of your head and its lasted for 5 days.

I suggest you see a doctor as soon as you can!
  10. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    Do you have a fever? Have you felt any dizzyness? Have you been under a lot of stress?
  11. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    A headache of a five day duration definitely calls for a visit to the doctor. What your are describing doesn't really sound like eye strain, but anything is possible. No way to really tell unless you have a physical.
  12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    for a headache that long definately see a doctor, me ive had 'em that long as well, but it was a migriane, and im too stubborn to go in to a doc.

but anyways it could be any number of things, but what you are describing could be your eyes....seems likely

hope you get it sorted out
  13. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    No fever. No dizziness. No withdrawal from anything. Blood pressure looks fine according to my mom's blood pressure monitor. I've been drinking a glass of water before every meal, so I'm no dehydrating. My head only hurts when I shake it, just as before. And when it aches, it feels like a light amount of pressure pushing on my head, but painful enough to be annoying. Otherwise I feel no pain, and feel perfectly fine.

I have been under a bit of stress from school, but this definitely hasn't been my most stressful week or even close to it.

I'll guess it's not a stroke. None of the symptoms.

I did keep my glasses off for a while and it didn't hurt. I'm guessing I need new glasses.

If the pain comes back, I'll check with my pediatrician tomorrow. But, I'm gonna make an appointment with my optometrist tomorrow, for sure.
  14. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I'm curious, if it only hurts when you shake your head? Why not try to keep your head still, what exactly do you mean by shake?

Will be anxious to hear what the optometrist has to say. How long has it been since you had an eye exam?
  15. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004

Thats good that rules out common causes meningitis.
  16. Wes macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2001
    I know a guy who had similar symptoms. Constant head-aches and the like. A couple of weeks ago he got out of the operating theatre after the removal of three brain tumours. He's in chemo right now and he is having a real hard time of it [drugs that make him throw up and others to counteract this which have other side-effects]. Why bother risking it? I wouldn't be posting this on a forum, I'd be trying to find any knowledgable doctor I could right now.
  17. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

Nov 10, 2004
    Land flowing with Milk and Honey
    Cyanide will cure it.

Seriously See a Doctor.
  18. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    My last eye exam must have been three years ago. I did notice my vision hasn't been too good a month or so ago. My dad thought it was time for some new glasses, too. My frames are sorta falling apart (the screws get loose at times) :p , so that just might be it.

I mean when my head makes a sudden move, it hurts (if I wasn't clear about the "shakes" part). I sometimes turn my head real fast, and I can feel the noticeable ache. When I for whatever reason tilt my head back fast the same thing. But, either way it, sorta has to be a forceful thrust. Not a slow movement. Maybe something as fast as if someone called your name and you had to turn your head to see them. And the pain is only noticeable, not something that takes me out or makes doing anything so difficult.

But, I've kept my glasses off for a while and no pain even when I move my head or shake it (like when you're shaking your head to gesture no). But, if it'll make you all feel better, I'll make an appointment with my doctor :)
  19. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    You don't use Windows XP, do you? That would cause a 5 day headache.

Seriously though, hope its just crappy lenses.
  20. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Feb 11, 2003
    Columbia, MD
    Don't even READ anything here till you get back from the Doctor!
  21. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    BUMP, hey AppleKid, whatever happened on your headaches? You ok now?