5 Days Left Of Free .mac Service...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tjwett, Sep 25, 2002.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

So, who else is waiting till the bitter end to sign up for .mac? I am still not sure what to do. I already have 50 megs of web hosting with plenty of email for $10 a month. The .mac homepage is not really an option for a professional website for my business. The iDisk might be useful but I don't use it at all now so it probably would not be missed. The Virex I can do without. I don't see much of a use for Backup either. The only thing I will miss is my @mac.com email address which I've used as my main personal email for a year now. Who's gonna go for it and why?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I signed up early on, and because of this it's actually been basically FREE for me....
    $50 = £32 (approx)
    On the 13/9/02 I got a rather nice mail from apple...
    So you see, after all that it's cost be about £2! :D

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Get in for Half Price and if Apple hasn't made it worthwile in a year drop kick it. $50 is 4 bucks a month so it's a solid deal right now. I think Apple will probably roll out some nice additions come MacWorld.

4. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

5. bidge macrumors 6502

I bought .Mac in the first week, and just having it is quite useful. Bit frustrated though when I then got given a free account from Learn and Earn.

6. bidge macrumors 6502

I bought .Mac in the first week, and just having it is quite useful. Bit frustrated though when I then got given a free account from Learn and Earn.

It is worth having though for the amount of money it costs. If they don't drop the price next year though it will be worth reconsidering unless they have some awesome new features which I am sure they will.

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

get it

its a great thing, I love the .mac mail and idisk si the most handy thing you can have on your mac

by all means snap it up while you can

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yeah i payed my 50 bucks about 1 week and a half ago.

i have a question...

if someone signed up for a free trial account 2 days ago... will they still be elligibale to pay only 50 bucks for the real deal?

9. saint macrumors regular

I almost signed up when I heard that we would get the free photo prints in addition to all the features, as that might make it worthwhile for me,
    but found out that it's only available to US and Canada. :rolleyes: :(

10. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Ugh

They need to gear .Mac for students a bit. Im still paying off my powermac g4 867dp, and even now I still must pay more to keep my email. The email is all I use iTools for, and I could care less about backup or iDisk which doesnt even on my school's macs. So $50 for an email account is just waaay too much for me. Still, my current email is just too long, damn you road runner.

11. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I signed up yesterday for .mac. I'm intending on getting my money's worth out of iBackup. Not tried it yet, hoping it works well with backing up to CD. Don't really care about backing up to the web because I can't get broadband.

And I'm also hoping there will be some great new stuff in the near future.

12. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

What does Backup do exactly? What does it do that I can't simply do with Toast and my CDRW or Zip?

13. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

lol a free .mac shirt with a purchase of a years worth of .mac :p ".Mac...i had 100 bucks to spend on webspace"
    i dont really have a need for .mac since:
    1) i dont have a mac yet
    2) i have 28.8 connection

14. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

yeah i got the same message... i dont rele care, i only get MRmail through mac mail anyways....

15. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

From what I've learned thru playing with it, it just simplifies the backup process. It can recognize which files have been altered, and update them. It can easily replace iTunes, iCal, and Address Book lists for those users who might now know exactly where to put these files. It can do this with your iDisk, all the while giving you a clear indicator of how much of space you're using up. It can also perform a backup to multiple CD/RW's or DVD's in exactly the same manner.

It's been pretty cool (once I got the hang of how it works). I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on .Mac.