5 drives inside your G5 for $99.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by walterc, May 2, 2004.

1. walterc macrumors newbie

Oct 11, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wanted to run my current ATA hard disk drives that I was using from my old Power Mac G4 in my new Power Mac G5 that I just got. Looking at the available solutions (which are very nice), I realized I didn't want to spend $300-$500 to do this and started looking at other options.

After a couple of weeks, of me and a friend banging our heads against the wall we came up with what we think is “The Best Bracket Yet” for the Power Mac G5. A Polycarbonate based bracket made by an industrial water cutting machine using 50,000 pounds of water pressure!

The Hard Drive Bracket can fit up to 3 - 3 1/2" by 1" hard disk drives (SCSI, IDE or SATA). It fits in front of the 2 fans in cooling zone three and is secured by the screw used to hold the cover plate on the power supply. Like I said the bracket itself is made of 1/4" Polycarbonate, this is the same material used to make bullet proof and BOMB proof windows. This stuff is small arms bullet proof! How cool it that?? You run a bullet proof Personal Computer with the Power Mac G5 why not have a bullet proof hard disk drive bracket?

After putting the device in my Power Mac G5 (Dual 1.8GHz) this week and showing it off to a few of my friends that have G5’s, I was asked if I could make another unit for them. After thinking about it, I thought others may like the opportunity to purchase a "kit".

The kit would include the Polycarbonate bracket, all screws to assemble and mount 3 hard drives and the allen wrench (it also mounts to the bottom G5 plate). It would be up to you to provide the power and data cables. Again, you could mount SCSI, IDE or SATA drives with no problem. I will use eBay to offer the units for sale.

Perfect for high end Photoshop, Final Cut Pro work or anything else where a terabyte or more of storage would come in handy!

Remember, visit the link listed above (hosted on .Mac), and e-mail me using the "Send me a message" button or e-mail me at walter_chisenski@mac.com You will then be notified when these are available for sale.
  2. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2004
    it looks like the lower fan will have no air because of the brackets. Does it actually let in suffient air into the lower heat sink. (sort of interested)
  3. walterc thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 11, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Since installing the bracket this week, I have ran several tests against my Dual 1.8GHz G5. This included things like.

- Having both CPU's run at 100% utilization (using Folding@home -- still running).

- Setting up CRON jobs to run file copy tests against all 3 drives in the bracket for 24 straight hours.

- Playing multiple QuickTime videos with each source file located on a different drive.

- All of the above going at the same time for prolonged amounts of time.

During those tests, I found (using both Temperature Monitor and ThermographX) that the system maintained an internal temperature no higher than 134.5 F (and my office is warm). Also of note, is that both Processor A and B both reported the same 98 F. Keep in mind that my Dual 1GHz G4 MDD system has an internal temp of around 136 F without all that activity going on (two hard drives and two video cards).

4. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    I can only see one problem there (besides the decreased airflow to the processors). Hard drives dissipate heat through the metal construction on their sides, which is supposed to transfer to the chassis to help keep them cool. Without them being screwed into anything, there is an increased risk of them failing due to overheating.
  5. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    someone had this idea allready for adding upto 1,250GB SATA drive capacity inside a G5, looks quite the same as your thing (off course its more expensive because they add a SATA card + the extra drives into the package...

http://www.promax.com/Products/SubCat/Storage/Internal SATA

so I think the airflow must be no problem... otherwise only the G5jam from wiebetech would be the solution regaring the placement of more drives in a G5...

just think adding both solutions into a G5 would mean that you could be able to install 7 250GB SATA drives inthere... NICE (if you have the money and the need for it...)