5 kids, including driver, hurt in joy ride

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bousozoku, May 27, 2004.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You thought the 12 year old in the parking lot was bad.

INTERCESSION CITY -- Five children, including 2- and 5-year-old sisters, were injured Wednesday when an 11-year-old girl took a pickup for a joy ride on the first day of summer vacation, lost control and flipped the vehicle onto its roof, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

Driver Yurilia Valdovinos found the keys, which had been hidden because the owner, the boyfriend of Yurilia's sister, said the pickup had brake problems, FHP Trooper Kim Miller said.

Accompanied by the other children, the girl took the vehicle from her home in rural Intercession City and drove to a street off Poinciana Boulevard near Poinciana High School.

The 1998 Ford F-150 extended cab fishtailed, and she overcorrected, causing the truck to overturn onto the shoulder of Crescent Lakes Way, Miller said. None of the children was wearing a seat belt, and the 2-year-old was not in a car seat, the FHP said.

The accident happened about 2:15 p.m., one day after Osceola County public schools let out for the summer.

Samantha Lopez, the toddler, broke her leg and was in stable condition Wednesday night at Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children & Women in Orlando, authorities said.

Her sister, Alexis Lopez, 5, suffered minor injuries, as did Ruby Clinage, 14, and her sister, Heather, 12, both of Intercession City, and Yurilia.

The Clinage girls were sitting in the front seat, Miller said. The four were treated at Osceola Regional Medical Center.

The truck belongs to Omar Lopez, the father of Samantha and Alexis. Yurilia is the sister of Lopez's girlfriend and lives with the family, the FHP said.

Lopez had hidden the keys because the truck has brake problems and he did not want anyone to drive it, Miller said.

The Lopez family could not be reached for comment.

Nobody answered the door at their home.

Yurilia was ticketed for careless driving, having no drivers license and not putting Samantha in a child seat.

Troopers also referred the case to the state Department of Children & Families to see whether intervention is warranted.

It is not known whether any adults were home at the time of the accident.

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  3. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

They still haven't mentioned the parents.

4. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

One of the local t.v. news programmes showed the father their videotape of the incident. He didn't say much except that he couldn't believe how stupid the 11 y.o. was.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is very sad, such a tragic loss for a family. I wonder if this 11 year old had been in trouble before? My prayers of out to that family. :(

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah, that pickup truck must have been quite a loss for them.

:confused:

Anyway. Eleven-year-olds do have an understanding of right and wrong. Unfortunately they often lack the understanding of the consequences involved with choosing the wrong option, which i'm guessing was the case here. Just about every kid endangers their life doing someone stupid, but she endangered 5 lives... hm.

I say toss her in jail for an hour or two. tho i'm sure there are those that would suggest months or years :rolleyes: I doubt she's a really bad kid at heart, but she needs a little something more to understand her actions.

paul

7. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    How long were the kids gone? Who the Hell was responsible for them at the time? Did nobody notice that the kids and truck were gone? You can't watch every single move a child makes, but it doesn't seem these kids were being watched at all. Maybe the eleven year old was watching the others? I agree with Paul, put her in a jail cell for a few hours. Hopefully, it will scare the **** out of her and she'll think twice next time. If they weren't being supervised, then an adult needs to be held accountable as well. I don't know, maybe daddy was taking a poop and it all happened very quickly. But they need to look into it and see what happened.

Just reread the article. Were the 12 & 14 year olds encouraging her? Surely they knew better. I wonder what they had to say?

8. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

The way things happen around here, I doubt there was any adult watching them. They were only gone a few minutes and barely went down the road when she lost control of the truck. It looked really bad but I couldn't find a photo to post. We'll see if they'll talk about it anymore today. They might way until they're all out of the hospital.

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

LOL!

Yeah, kids can be pretty stupid sometimes... I find it amusing that an 11-year-old kid can get ticketed for not having a driver's license, not putting a toddler in a car seat, and reckless driving. Makes sense, but never really thought about it before.

It is an unfortunate accident, let's hope those kids learned their lesson! And they're pretty lucky to be alive.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Seeing the other kids' injuries might be enough of a shock. But, unfortunately, getting attention and seeing herself talked about in newspapers and on TV could be positive rather than negative reinforcement.

11. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

The way the roof was dented and the fact that trucks aren't up to current car safety standards, they are lucky.

Oh, and by the way, there was another car flipped over today in this area. :eek:

12. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    Damn, is the problem in the road? Is this the point where the Waffle House is on one side of the street and the swamp is on the other? :rolleyes: If the cars are dropping off on the swamp side of the street, the low shoulder could be the problem!

13. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

We had something like this happen in Charlotte earlier this year, but in our case, all seven of the kids died. It would have been eight, but one of the parents was responsible enough not to let his kid go out joy riding with the 11-14 year old friends.

Of course all of the kids families decided to blame to police, because the police were chasing the stolen car the kids were in when it crashed.

14. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

It's not happening in the same place. There are a lot of people who just don't care to drive adequately, never mind well.