Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
5 more days... 5 more days... 5 more days... 5 more days.... And there'd BETTER be a new Mac Pro!

Reactions: mrxak

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
IF Apple continues the Mac Pro, I guess they need to at least address it. And I think that's what's most important: information about the road ahead.

I'm most curious about products we haven't seen yet. Like the new MacBook Pros with display FN-keys and new stand alone 5k display with integrated GPU (and the solutions that it might bring).

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Yeah, I'm never interested in the gimicky stuff. To me, the LCD touch bar on the new MacBook Pro and the Integrated-GPU Display are both FAR less important than an updated, customizable Mac Pro with great specs. And the Mac Pro is far more overdue for an upgrade than any other product from Apple.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Actually am excited for the LCD bar. Get rid of the Apple menu and put it above the keyboard. A shifting contextual row of buttons means I don't ever need to waste time moving the cursor to the top of the screen. Left hand hits the buttons, right hand carries on working.

Reactions: ekwipt

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I think we shouldn't "assume" there will be a refresh for all the macs. In the past they've done laptops in one event. And followed up in November with say iMac and perhaps the Mac Pro.

I would *love* for them to have a 'update to all our macs, from mac mini to mac pro, laptops and workstations included'. But we over-desire, and end up with new laptops.

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich
Yeah, I'm never interested in the gimicky stuff.

What I'm thinking about is 100% non-gimmick and strictly about usability and new improved ways to work.

I can imagine more than a few users that would think would be cool to be able to hook up a MacBook Pro to two dual 5k displays and get top notch performance.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
What I'm thinking about is 100% non-gimmick and strictly about usability and new improved ways to work.
I agree, I think the function keys are rarely used, and those who use it maybe love to feel something against their finger to turn off sound or increase brightness. Losing that might not be too fun (especially in the dark) - so a properly working solution (and I dont mean remove the headphone jack solution) with ambient light and custom layout and adaptive display .. would be nice. If it's a guessing game in the dark which one is to lower volume, and you are enabling siri and ejecting disks and shutting down the system ... just because you mis-touched.. That would be a terrible experience.

They've done it pretty well (a virtual keyboard) on iOS, I hope that experience is the same on hardware.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009

Ok, I guess that makes sense. Good point.
To me though, the most important thing is power. I care more about a Mac Pro with beastly specs than little things like the touch bar. Touch bar is still cool though. :)

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Ok, I guess that makes sense. Good point.
To me though, the most important thing is power. I care more about a Mac Pro with beastly specs than little things like the touch bar. Touch bar is still cool though. :)
A Mac Pro server with a touch bar at the top that gives some visual info wouldn't hurt btw :) Go for it Apple!

AndreeOnline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2014
Zürich

I'm with you. But looking at the nMP, it's obvious to me that Apple tried to make the Mac Pro more like a MacBook Pro or an iPhone: a singular, integrated product where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. And ideally, they'd like to charge a price that reflects that. It's how they roll. Only problem is, that is the complete opposite of what most users have in their mind when they think of a workstation.

We want to be able to buy relatively cheap parts off the shelf, and with skill and knowledge combine these cheap parts into a whole that offers value far beyond the cost of its parts.

Potential Mac Pro customers are, if not at a direct opposite to Apple position, at least at the other side of the field, it feels like.

In many products, Apple's value gets created at the intersection of hardware itself, software and design philosophies. With the Mac Pro, too much of the value still rests on the actual hardware (that Apple doesn't make), making it difficult for them to create a product that fits both them and us.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
One of the things I don't like about Mac Pro is that Apple's site simply does not offer hardware upgrades a year or so later that you can buy to keep your pro products 'pro' and modern.

You can't go to the site and say, let's buy these 2 video cards, that we know are guaranteed to help us upgrade the system and keep it up to date. Or this ram or that CPU replacement etc.

You buy it, and they dont want to see you again. It sucks.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
I think something like the rumored Magic Touch Bar could be great, but I'm not thrilled about the prospect of the Macbook's qwerty-keyboard ending up on the MacBookPro. That thing is not comfortable to type on. I'd rather have a laptop that's 1mm thicker with a regular MBA/MBP keyboard.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I think something like the rumored Magic Touch Bar could be great, but I'm not thrilled about the prospect of the Macbook's qwerty-keyboard ending up on the MacBookPro. That thing is not comfortable to type on. I'd rather have a laptop that's 1mm thicker with a regular MBA/MBP keyboard.
I agree. But if they can make a mixture where the key is feeling like they do now. But the display changes based on what you use it for. I wouldn't object against that.

That said, I really do like the physical touch of my finger on the last function key, then a few over, and i never miss on the mute button. Kinda scared that all changes. We need orientation, it's why we still have a . on the F key

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I haven't kept up lately, are there workstation class GPUs available for a new Pro model (that are significantly different than the D700s)? If so, this could be exciting or even if they switch to Nvidia.

I don't know if I'd upgrade right away but will def. buy any kind of screen if they announce one.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
Only problem is, that is the complete opposite of what most users have in their mind when they think of a workstation.

We want to be able to buy relatively cheap parts off the shelf, and with skill and knowledge combine these cheap parts into a whole that offers value far beyond the cost of its parts.

I'm not sure that is entirely accurate. I think at least a large part of the professional users (maybe even the majority) could not care less what's inside, as long as it does the job they need it to do. Many pros I know are experts with their software of choice, but have little to no interest in whatever goes on beyond that.

Reactions: poematik13

grcar

Suspended
Sep 28, 2014
To me though, the most important thing is power. I care more about a Mac Pro with beastly specs than little things like the touch bar.

You are confusing TWO different product lines. Mac Pro is a desktop with no keyboard attached. MacBOOK Pro is a laptop.

BTW Apple refurbished webpage has 11 different versions of the desktop in all levels of cpu (4, 6, 8, 12 core) and many choices of ram, ssd, and gpu. Looks like an inventory sell-off to me, or at least, the guys in Cupertino are replacing their own office machines with new models.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
5 more days... 5 more days... 5 more days... 5 more days.... And there'd BETTER be a new Mac Pro!
Ming didn't state anything about it. Odd.
[doublepost=1477162512][/doublepost]After this year, it's back to ipads...then wwdc and then iphone and the laptops.
I think we shouldn't "assume" there will be a refresh for all the macs. In the past they've done laptops in one event. And followed up in November with say iMac and perhaps the Mac Pro.

I would *love* for them to have a 'update to all our macs, from mac mini to mac pro, laptops and workstations included'. But we over-desire, and end up with new laptops.

Reactions: Floris

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
You are confusing TWO different product lines. Mac Pro is a desktop with no keyboard attached. MacBOOK Pro is a laptop.

BTW Apple refurbished webpage has 11 different versions of the desktop in all levels of cpu (4, 6, 8, 12 core) and many choices of ram, ssd, and gpu. Looks like an inventory sell-off to me, or at least, the guys in Cupertino are replacing their own office machines with new models.

No, I'm not confusing the two products. Don't put words in my mouth. Read previous posts before making dumb assumptions.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
I really hope we get iMac this year.. I honestly can't wait until March or May .. ffs.

I honestly couldn't care less about the iMac. In fact, I've never cared about the iMac. Never cared to own one either. To me, a desktop should be a desktop, and a laptop should be a laptop. But the iMac is just a laptop disguised as a desktop.

That's why I'm really hoping for a Mac Pro upgrade. I've always loved the Pro, and it's WAY more due for an upgrade than the iMac line...

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I honestly couldn't care less about the iMac. In fact, I've never cared about the iMac. Never cared to own one either. To me, a desktop should be a desktop, and a laptop should be a laptop. But the iMac is just a laptop disguised as a desktop.

That's why I'm really hoping for a Mac Pro upgrade. I've always loved the Pro, and it's WAY more due for an upgrade than the iMac line...
Different needs, different products. I'd love to have an extra 2000 lying around just to get a proper mac pro that's modern, with a 5k monitor. I just don't - but i still need to get things done. And the imac comes with some better hardwre than the laptops at times, and with a 5k monitor. It's a compromise i have to make. My first mac was a powerbook, the second a mac pro, the third this imac.

If we win a couple billion in the lottery, mac pro's for all!

Reactions: Anto38x

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Yeah, that makes sense. Different people have different needs.
It's just that the Mac Pro hasn't been updated in over THREE YEARS. It's super sad. :(

Reactions: Anto38x and mrxak

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
If Apple doesn't update the Mac Pro... isn't the line essentially dead? How can you continue to put your business in a defunct product. It doesn't make any sense not to update a desktop product in 3 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.