5 Reasons not to buy an iPod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Lain.v2, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lain.v2 macrumors newbie

2. Fahd macrumors regular

Sorry but I agree with that article 100%. (I own a 20GB IPOD)

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Re: 5 Reasons not to buy an iPod

Such as?

4. Lain.v2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Re: 5 Reasons not to buy an iPod

Comparing it to 4 different players for one.

5. Lain.v2 thread starter macrumors newbie

What they want is an iPod with an inbuilt HDD, CD, Flash Reader, recording capability with a long battery life all at a wonderfully low price and dont forget to make the damn thing small so you can go jogging with it!

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's correct, technically, and we'd all like a cheaper iPod with lots of battery life. But the problem is best described by As the Apple Turns. If one of those reasons is a main concern, buy one of the other devices mentioned. But if you want all of them - high battery life, cheap, large hard drive, small size, better recording, AAC and WMA support... sorry. Close, but no cigar.

A good MD player is close, but there's a reason that the iPod is the #1 portable music player. It's a music player. And a darn good one at that. Eventually it will get some better features for better prices, but it's good at what it does for what it is with the few extra features it gives.

If a true iPod killer came out, believe me, we'd buy it. I just don't see it yet.

7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

It confuses the customers...

They want to compare 4 players against the iPod, adding a feature of everyone against the all together of the iPod, sorry but it leads the customers to caryy up to 3 devices at the same time... it sounds like a Napster/MM & co paid article :mad:

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Re: Re: 5 Reasons not to buy an iPod

Such as giving out that the iPod can (potentially) skip - even though neither of mine ever have - and then later comparing the iPod unfavorably to CD players which skip a lot more in my experience.

Also he criticises the iPod's battery life, though CD players are no better in my experience.

Having said that, I got the impression he just wanted to opine on how to make the best better, even if it's an odd topic for a news site.

Mike.

9. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

Re: Re: Re: 5 Reasons not to buy an iPod

I think you need to be shaking the iPod heavily for at least 20 mins. before the RAM buffer runs out. Who does this anyway?

10. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

11. Lain.v2 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Nomad is all the better for it. That article is junk. :mad:

But if they did include it, it would be because they wanted to pick on iPod's signal to noise ratio no doubt.

12. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I can't believe it...

Such a "Serious" web news place, with such an insane article, I know I posted already, but I'm still pissed off, Battery life is not good get a dell, but wait, HD is not good get a flash card player, but it doesnt play to much, no way, get a MP3 CD player and carry with a bag full of the music you would like to listen, but no no no, it doesn't pay off if you want to record, ohh god, is really fuc***ng crazy, the ideal player is not from this world, wait the rest of your life for it and die with the hope... I could consider this man having personal problems with apple/SJ and tries to pee the product, sorry but it only confuses the average end customer...I'm going to email the author and the website...

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I went in prepared to angrily disagree with that article on every level, but I think it's accurate. Those are all potential problems with the ipod. Keep in mind that the writer compared each other player to the ipod only in the area where the other player was strongest. A full review of each other player would show you that each has it's own problems.

IMO, the author went out of his way to point out that he still considers the ipod the best out there, a point which I agree with. But that doesn't make it perfect.

14. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I'm failing to see the wrongness so far. Did you read the whole article? He says that the iPod is his favorite player. All he's saying is that maybe it's not for everyone--or at the very least that there are other products out there.

I think the author is being overly picky, but he didn't write anything that isn't true. iPod doesn't have a 20 hour battery life. Big deal. iPod can't play wma files. Big deal.

15. joshuwa72 macrumors member

That article = t3h gh3y

Sounds to me like the article wasnt only bashing the iPod, but I am given the impression the author just dosn't like anything Apple.

Especialy how they mention "the secure Windows Media Format"...instead of a universal format, such as MP3, or OOG Vorbis, definitely pointing out they favor windows/microsoft.

Thats just a very biased article; but anytime you compare an apple product to something geared towards windows users, its bount to be biased.

I also like how they mention that if you shake the iPod at the precise time the harddrive spins, it may skip. I think you would have better luck spending $40 at a carnival game and winning than you would making the iPod skip at that "precise moment"

16. Wash!! macrumors 6502

you don't want it

I'll take your ipod email me...:D

17. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: 5 Reasons not to buy an iPod

I get 20 hours from my CD player...with Skip Protection!

Although I must have an iPod (it would be the perfect companion with my PowerBook) battery life sucks, and that's no lie. The reason I want an iPod is because it's beautiful, when I saw one and used one (a 5GB iPod) I just had to have one, it's so easy to use, and it also doubles as a real hard drive!

I hope Apple has something up their sleeves for Christmas! The iPod is perfect just the way it is (it could use a $50+ price drop) but I would not like to charge it so much.

18. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

The single biggest issue for me was the revelation that the iPod battery is non-replaceable.

Spending a significant amount of money on a (admittedly stunning) piece of technology with built in obsolescence of a couple of years is a non-starter for me.

Is this really true and representative of the competition?
    Vanilla

19. Macco macrumors regular

Vanilla -
    The iPod case is probably too thin to be able to use any sort of standard disposable or rechargable battery. I believe that the battery currently used in the iPod is flat but wide, to allow the case to remain small. Because the battery is internal and rechargable, you don't have to worry about having enough replacement batteries, or losing the cover on the battery compartment.

20. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

The last point in the article really gets on my nerves. It's like 'Apple should support WMA' so they can have a choice, but the others could just as easily support AAC. If it weren't for Apple, there wouldn't even be any online music stores and now they're complaining about choice?

The battery seems the biggest worry for me with these things though. When I buy something (particulalry that expensive), I want it to last for life, not a couple of years.

21. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I found it!

Adding features from 1 to 5, according to this guy... I knew I had seen one before... ;), The all-features G5 looked next generation POD ...:D

Attached Files:

22. bertagert macrumors 6502

1. I don't see the battery life as bad. I just drove across country and got 9 hours out of my ipod. I didn'thave the back light on and set the it to play songs randomly and a only pushed FF twice. I personally couldn't believe I got 9 hours but I did. Would it be better to get more? Sure, but 6-8 hours of life is fin with me for 99% of the time.

2. The article was true in its comparisons. However, it is misleading when comparing one ipod to 4 different players. Should have be written with a little more info on the other players.

Has anyone tried out the new Samsung (Napster) player yet? I saw it at Best Buy but couldn't play with it. How about the Dell player, anyone seen one yet?

23. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i'm not quite the apple zealot like some people, some products are better than others but I honestly love my old 20gb ipod....
    1. A year into it and I still get 8 hours from a single charge
    2. I do most of my jogging / cardo at a gym so i don't need skip protection but in other cases u get 256mb, i mean i probably have a that many songs I workout to, but i have different music for when i'm not working out how do you fit it all on the one soldi state player ... you can't. Would the next option of mp3cd do well in the skip protection category?

and the rest is just how apple does business

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.