5 Reasons to BUY A MAC NOW

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by farin, Jun 18, 2005.

  1. farin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #1
    Ok People...
    There are tons, and tons of threads about whether or not this is the time to buy a Powerbook, iBook, ect. My advice is to buy, Here's why:
    1. You will get a good 3-5 years out of it before Apple starts actually selling, shipping, and getting the bugs worked out of the Intel Macs.
    2. Because there probably won't be an update for the Powerbooks; The new ones were just released in Feb. It could happen, but most likly won't.
    3. Do you really want to hold out for a year?
    4. The first rev. of Intel Macs will most likly be either A. Buggy, or B. Slower, or just as fast as the PPC macs now.
    5. Because Apple is going to continue updated OS support for a while. They have set everything up so that they can compile their OS for both PPC and x86. Don't sweat it, Uncle Steve's got your back.
    So, with that said, I just want to let everyone know, I took my own advice and just bought a 12 inch Powerbook with a SuperDrive. I love this computer to death, and I've only had it 10 hours. It absolutly rocks my world. I suggest buying one ASAP, get your money out of it, and save up for the new line of Intel Macs, but wait for the second rev. It will be worth it.
     
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
  3. superbovine macrumors 68030

    superbovine

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2003
    #3
    slower is subjective. macaddict and maximum pc benmarked dual amd and dual g5 in a head to head dual when they came out. one place that macs shined was in video encoding. macs and pcs don't go faster in the all the same applications. another example, gaming. pc wins hands down. also, in other areas like comparing microsoft office application, who cares? i'd bet that the intel chips would be faster and run cooler anyways. also considering moore laws they probably will have to be faster.
     
  4. SRSound macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #4
    Thanks so much for this thread- just what I needed to hear!
     
  5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

    Deepdale

    Joined:
    May 4, 2005
    Location:
    New York
    #5
    Always good to hear from someone who is thrilled with their purchase. Enjoy your PB for years to come.

    With his Gulfstream V jet, his own back is nicely covered. As far as my back goes, I'll just have to wait and see how these upcoming changes unfold.
     
  6. dcv macrumors G3

    Joined:
    May 24, 2005
    #6
    Is SuperDrive worth it?

    Hi farin,

    I think today might be the day that I finally take the plunge and "switch". Have been waiting for an iBook update for so long now that i've talked myself into buying a 12" Powerbook instead. Just wanted to know why you chose the SuperDrive model over the combo model - will you use the DVD rewriting functionality much? I was all set for buying a 12" combo model today (as i can't see me really burning any dvds), but overnight have been considering the superdrive model to get the additional dvd functionality in case i ever want to use it.

    Of course this means my budget has now gone from £774 GBP (for iBook + 60GB + Bluetooth) to £1049 for 12" PB combo to potentially £1199 for 12" PB SD

    I'm just not sure if the extra £150 is worth it in my situation. Do you (or does anyone else) know if iDVD will write to an external dvd burner if i ever decide to make use of that functionality at a later date? or does it only work in conjunction with the built-in superdrive? i don't have any mac experience yet!

    I know that the SD model also comes with an additional 20GB of hard disk space but I'm also going to be buying a huge external hard disk for backup purposes anyway, so anything over the 60gb can just go on there.
     
  7. josepho macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2004
    Location:
    Surrey, England
    #7
    iDVD is set up so that it will only use a built-in Superdrive, and will not recognise the presence of any third-party drives. However, I've been having a wee look online and it would appear there may be workarounds to this:
    http://homepage.mac.com/geerlingguy...pages/15-burn_idvd-faq/iDVD-Burn-External.pdf

    Personally I got the 12" PB w/ Combo about a year ago (1.33Ghz) and I've never wished I'd got the Superdrive. Sure, different people do different things, but for me, DVD authoring just ain't a requirement.

    Good luck in whatever you choose.
     
  8. erickg macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2004
    #8
    I had the same reasoning as you, the extra cash for the superdrive isn't necessarily worth it imo. I have an external DVD burner (by Lacie, burns at up to 16x and burns DL) that I use on my iMac and iBook and it works great. I haven't actually burnt in iDVD since Panther, however it worked fine then. I believe there was a patch called Patchburn or something like that to make it work. If I recall correctly, now (with iLife '05 and Tiger) it should recognize it without any patches.

    I'd go for the Powerbook w/ combodrive, but that's just my opinion (and there are many people on these forums who would disagree!).

    Hope this helps!

    /E.
     
  9. dcv macrumors G3

    Joined:
    May 24, 2005
    #9
    Thanks for your replies... I think I'll probably just stick with Combo Drive then. The additional £150 would more than pay for a decent sized external hard disk (was thinking of a LaCie D2 Extreme 160GB (Firewire + USB)) and if i decide to burn dvds in the future then i'll look into the workaround with the external writer.

    Right i think that's settled then (though i'll probably change my mind several times between now and the apple store!)
     
  10. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 13, 2005
    #10
    If you buy it, women will have sex in your backyard.
     
  11. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #11
    LOL!!!!!

    anyhoo, I agree ----- I just bought a new 1.67 ghz 17" --- I'm a happy man
     
  12. Runaway macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2005
    #12
    To be honest, I don't find any of these reasons very convincing.
     
  13. Hattig macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2003
    Location:
    London, UK
    #13
    This doesn't answer the more commonly asked question of whether or not someone should buy an iBook or Mac Mini now, or wait a couple of weeks.

    Me? I'm waiting a couple of weeks before getting an iBook, unless the next Mac Mini is an even better deal. Or both ...
     
  14. DJC17 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2005
    Location:
    Brighton, England
    #14
    Well don't buy one then, its your call!
     
  15. notjustjay macrumors 603

    notjustjay

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    Location:
    Canada, eh?
    #15
    Funny, I was just talking about this with my brother last night.

    Totally agree. If you buy a machine now, given the "don't ever buy a Rev. A" rule, you'll get 3-4 years of life before your first opportunity to replace it with an Intel based Mac.

    I just don't think an iBook should be that machine (my brother's eyeing a 12" model) -- shouldn't they be due for an update soon?
     
  16. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

    pulsewidth947

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2005
    Location:
    squarefrog.co.uk
    #16
    Here, here!

    I just plunged and bought my Powerbook, I've had it since Wednesday and its awesome. I had much the same reasoning as your 5 reasons, plus the fact Apple offered me 6 months 0% interest free payments! ROCK!

    I paid the extra to get the superdrive, despite having an external burner. My reason? Because one day I will find myself needing to burn a DVD on the road. Also I wanted the 128 MB graphics and slightly faster CPU.

    At the end of the day any computer you buy will be out of date after a few months, the Powerbooks available now are absolutely stunning, so why lose out on all that time you could be playing/working with one!
     
  17. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #17
    1.If you really NEED a new computer now, there's really no reason to wait
    unless the current models and available applications would not cover your daily uses for the next few years.

    2.The majority of average users will never out use all the power that the existing models offer.

    I would be careful not to over invest in any of the G4 models, but they are still very well proven and reliable, so it's a tough call. Be sensible.
    The 12" PB SD with at least 1 GB RAM will cover most people's needs
    without going overboard.
    If you need something portable, you're good, but once you get over $2000
    into a G4 based laptop, you're well beyond dual G5 PowerMac territory.

    *

    3.The current PowerMacs have one major feature that may not be available in the Intel models.

    8 RAM SLOTS!

    If your application require RAM this could be very important.
    There's no guarantee that Intel-Macs will reconfigure the
    Intel motherboards to hold more than 4 RAM sticks.

    Certainly, the 4 slot Intel motherboards will support DDR2,but you might want to price those DDR2 RAM sticks. Especially the 2 GB variety. $950.00 each!

    4.There's also that bang for the buck factor.

    You can still find a Rev B dual G5 2.0 for as low as $1649 (Apple Store Refurb) or catch one while they last at the resellers for around +/-$1899.

    Either way you are getting a well proven flagship tower that still uses the PRO motherboard offering major expandibility, respectable performance, exquisite craftsmanship, and connectivity for less than ANY respectable laptop or other pro desktop.

    The best overall choice in the newest lineup is probably the dual 2.3
    but you can buy a lot of useful goodies for the difference in price
    if the Rev B meets your needs.

    Either of these models are a reasonable expense considering what they can do.

    I'd stick with either a Rev B 2.0 or a new 2.3 if you can afford it.
    Otherwise, If you can get by with what you're using now for another 12-18 months, then FINE! wait.

    If your just OS curious, a Mac mini, an iBook, or 17" iMac will get you rolling nicely and you can always hand it down to the kids and grandma once the dual core Intels have proven themselves worthy of your next $3000

    This does not rule out revisions at MWSF or Paris.

    I love my Rev B 2.0 G and saved enough to buy extra RAM ,
    a sweet 24" display and M-audio Keystation 49e.

    5.The upcoming Intel based dual core PowerBooks will be hard to resist,
    but buying now puts you in position to wait for the Rev B after all the bugs are ironed out some time in 2007.
    The earliest models won't be here till June 2006 per SJ
    Get real. You'll go nuts waiting that long!

    I think Apple should really drop the prosumer dual 2.0 Rev C G5's entirely and bring back the Rev B with dual layer SD and the better 128 Mb GPU.

    Then cover the entry level G5 needs with a sub-$1000 G5 Max Mini
     
  18. Truffy macrumors 6502a

    Truffy

    Joined:
    May 9, 2005
    Location:
    somewhere outside your window...
    #18
    'A' I can go with, I always avoid rev A mahcines, I let others do the bugstomping for me! 'B' sounds a little more like wishful thinking TBH.
     
  19. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

    Artful Dodger

    Joined:
    May 28, 2004
    Location:
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    #19
    Hi, see my sig. for DVD burner. I have made in the last 3 mths. several movies mostly for insurance coverage of homes, personal items and so on from iDVD and used my burner to burn from iDVD as well with no problems. From what I know LaCie has a built in walk around to do this which has been great for me and my two Macs. Any Q's about this just ask and enjoy :)
     
  20. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #20

    Well put! Thanks for reading my mind ;)
     
  21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #21
    The dangers of rev. A models are grossly overstated on this board. And even if you did wait for rev. B, it would not be 3-4 years (or 3-5 years as stated by the original poster). The first intel macs will be out this time next year, and there should be revisions on those within 6 months or so, given apple's usual update cycles. Within 18 months there could be some lines that are already on rev. B intel designs.

    As always, buy now if you need it now. But frankly, I don't think this is a good time to buy a laptop or a mac mini - all of those lines are getting long in the tooth, and you'd be better off waiting if you are able to. The powermacs and imacs are fine.
     
  22. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

    sw1tcher

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
  23. atszyman macrumors 68020

    atszyman

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Location:
    The Dallas 'burbs
    #23
    You forgot one of the best reasons now is the time to buy.

    6. Current Macs run all currenty existing applications natively. Thanks to universal binaries they will also run at least the next two upgrades of whatever software you buy, natively. Intel Macs will have to suffer with Rosetta for any software you don't wish to upgrade or has not been upgraded to universal binaries.
     
  24. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

    Pistol Pete

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2005
    Location:
    So Cal
    #24

    Well said!
     
  25. maya macrumors 68040

    maya

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2004
    Location:
    somewhere between here and there.
    #25
    I am going to BURST into laughter if this whole x86/Intel deals blows up in Steve Jobs face. We have heard promises from both Intel and IBM, even Moto/FreeScale and all if any actually deliver anything as promised. :)
     

Share This Page