50 ft firewire cable?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cwright, Feb 4, 2007.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

I need a 50 ft long firewire cable, 6-pin to 6-pin. Does anyone know of any good retailers that offer one? I haven't had much luck—only finding a couple smaller retailers that I'd usually be wary of on the web.

Is PcCables a good retailer?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im not sure but won't 50 ft be to long for the data to pass without slowing down?

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I think its something like once you get to 15 ft (approx 4.5 meters) data starts slowing down. I'm guessing that 50 ft is pretty slow.

4. Poeben macrumors 6502

You would need a repeater or an extender. They also sell 33 foot firewire 400 cables there too.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I use this vendor ALL the time. They supply me with USB, FW400, FW800, Cat5e Patch Cables and Long Extension Cables, Converters, Extensions, etc. I have never had a reject, missing item, wrong item, or missed ship date. Finally, I have not found a less expensive vendor to buy from. So, they have passed every test. I have been using them since 2003.

6. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

The site on the cable I posted before claims that it still supports up to 400 Mbits/sec, but who knows how fast it really is.

If it makes any difference, I'm using it to do this with my cable box. Will a 'slower' firewire cable cause problems when recording HD content?

I don't really want to spend $80 on a repeater plus the cost of the cable if its not absolutely necessary. A 30–35 ft cable might just barely be long enough. If so, would that length also be too long?

I also found this 15 ft cable + repeater for $20. The site claims that 3 can be connected together without needing additional power. That would be a good 45 ft cable for $60—would that really still allow the full bandwith of the firewire cable?

7. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the recommendation. I've noticed that their prices seem quite good too—I'm sure whatever I order will be from them.

How are their shipping rates/speed?